Asa

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I was reading on the ASA site and as of 2009 you have to have one coach ACE certified and carry their Bollinger insurance for "Championship Play", which is defined as any tournament where the winner and selected teams may advance to higher levels of play in ASA. (Paraphrasing)

Since we aren't planning on going to Nationals, I guess we won't be playing any qualifiers, as we have insurance and aren't going to pay to take the ACE certification class. Which is a bummer because we are looking to play the best teams we can and had a National Qualifier within an hour of home.

The way I read it, a coach has to keep taking a class every year to maintain there certification. I am curious as to the total cost of certification and insurance combined if someone who does this annually would care to comment. Thanks!

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I was reading on the ASA site and as of 2009 you have to have one coach ACE certified and carry their Bollinger insurance for "Championship Play", which is defined as any tournament where the winner and selected teams may advance to higher levels of play in ASA. (Paraphrasing)

Since we aren't planning on going to Nationals, I guess we won't be playing any qualifiers, as we have insurance and aren't going to pay to take the ACE certification class. Which is a bummer because we are looking to play the best teams we can and had a National Qualifier within an hour of home.

The way I read it, a coach has to keep taking a class every year to maintain there certification. I am curious as to the total cost of certification and insurance combined if someone who does this annually would care to comment. Thanks!

I have had the ACE certification for 5 years. The first year it is $25 and it includes your ASA registration Fee, Background Check, and insurance. Every year after that it is $20 to renew. I have registered as the head coach for my team for several years and never had to pay the individual fee for coach registration since I had the ACE certification. It's basically $2.50 more than the individual player registration/insurance fee. I think it's worth it if you want to play in ASA qualifiers.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I have had the ACE certification for 5 years. The first year it is $25 and it includes your ASA registration Fee, Background Check, and insurance. Every year after that it is $20 to renew. I have registered as the head coach for my team for several years and never had to pay the individual fee for coach registration since I had the ACE certification. It's basically $2.50 more than the individual player registration/insurance fee. I think it's worth it if you want to play in ASA qualifiers.

Thanks! Quite a bit less than I expected. May consider it for next year.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
If you play A or B ball in ASA you must have their insurance. USSSA will accept ASA insurance (for now).

When I coached C ball and played locally we used the leagues USSSA insurance and bought an "ASA card for $15" each year.

Now that I coach A ball I have ASA and PGF insurance. The parents pay for it so I dont sweat the double insurance.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest

This certification is pretty easy and takes very little time to do. it has great information-new and refresher every year from Mike Candrea and other proven coaches. Its worth every penny and protects you the coach from liability.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
What about player cards? I have my ACE certification cards but do ASA tournaments require player cards if we have our own insurance?

If its a national or qualifier event each player has to show their id which can be cards and their ASA insurance cards as well to play.

So again if you play A or B ball and decide to play any state, national or qualifier events (which most in the summer are one of the three) you need ASA insurance and cards

Apr 15, 2012
What about player cards? I have my ACE certification cards but do ASA tournaments require player cards if we have our own insurance?

For any ASA tournaments you never know what they will check. It's best to be prepaird for anything. I aways have every player on my teams ASA cards and birth cirtificates, plus a picture that gets taken the first time they try out for us, and a sighned release. I also require every coach to have an ACE certification and have their cards on them. If they are checking rosters and insurance, it's best to have your files of players in alphabetical order to save time. Plus the UIC really likes that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad