ASA Rule on Dropped Third Strike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

DB1

Apr 23, 2009
Metro East StL
Can someone explain to me why the rulebook states that the batter runner is not out on a dropped third strike until they "enter the team area." Rule 8 Secton 2, D. In a league game, we had an opposing player swing at the third strike, pitched ball was low, bounced into catchers glove. Batter starts walking to the dugout, gets about 5 feet from dugout and takes off towards first. Pitcher now has the ball and throws to first while runner on third takes off to home. Close play at home and runner is safe. I asked the umpire why she could run towards the dugout and then take off and he quoted the above rule. I asked about running out of the base path and he shrugged it off. Didn't affect the outcome of the game, but seemed kind of strange to me. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Jun 22, 2008
No you arent missing anything, that is the rule. Until they step into the dugout, they have every right to attempt to run to 1st base on a dropped third strike. Running out of the base path only applys to tag plays when the runner is trying to avoid being tagged, and, the base path is set by the runner from their position at the time of the attempted tag, not by the base lines on the field.

DB1

Apr 23, 2009
Metro East StL
Yeah, we got the out at first, but it wasn't the third out. To me it wasn't a set play. The girl was headed to the dugout and there were two coaches yelling and pointing to first standing in the opening of the dugout. Girl kind of hesitated like she was confused then ran to first. Seemed kind of bush to me. Fortunately it had no effect on the game.

Thanks

Nov 17, 2010
Easy fix to combat this tactic. Have your catcher get into the habit of tagging the batter on every 3rd strike. Especially when the ball hits the ground.

May 25, 2010
Maybe I'm naïve, but doesn't sound like there was any attempt at bush league trickery if the coaches were pointing and yelling at her to race to 1B. If batter's apparent confusion was just part of the sell job in order to attract the defense's attention, then I'd have to give them credit for having such an elaborate play ready, but would also criticize them for gamesmanship.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Can someone explain to me why the rulebook states that the batter runner is not out on a dropped third strike until they "enter the team area." Rule 8 Secton 2, D. In a league game, we had an opposing player swing at the third strike, pitched ball was low, bounced into catchers glove. Batter starts walking to the dugout, gets about 5 feet from dugout and takes off towards first. Pitcher now has the ball and throws to first while runner on third takes off to home. Close play at home and runner is safe. I asked the umpire why she could run towards the dugout and then take off and he quoted the above rule. I asked about running out of the base path and he shrugged it off. Didn't affect the outcome of the game, but seemed kind of strange to me. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Yeah, you are. Why would you expect the BR to be ruled out just because they did not run directly to 1B? There are NO rules dictating where any runner may or may not go except dead ball territory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes