Aroldis Chapman

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 8, 2011
I have tried to come up with a good explanation in my mind why college coaches frown on them as a general rule - both helmet guards and fielding masks. I can only think of a few.

-- They believe it makes their players perform at an inferior level to those without masks. Perhaps line of sight, fear/aggressive weakness? I guess this is debatable, I really don't know. But if a kid is throwing 65 mph as a 14-16 year old wearing a mask I'll guess she could do the same or better as an 18-20 year old wearing a mask.

-- They are hoping for women's college softball to take off television-wise. It certainly is starting to gain a following. What a career, money, worth and stature in the university community that would provide the coaches. Pretty girl-faces on the field "sell" better than pretty girls with masks on covering their looks.

I hope I am wrong.

Sep 17, 2009
When my DD was young I had her wear a heart guard AND a mask while pitching/playing 3B. She wears neither now (doesn't pitch anymore but still plays 3rd). In high school this year I know they like to play 3B VERY aggressively in. I may have to bring it up with her again, maybe with a wire mask instead of the plastic she used to wear. Good thread.

Coaches should be forced to do everything they ask their kids to do....go take hard shots at third 20 feet from the plate and see what they say then. Or remove the L-screen when they pitch batting practice...

May 7, 2008
Tucson
As I have said, I wear a mask. Coaches get them on.

I gave the girls last night, my spiel. I always tell them, that I played before helmets. They look at me like I am crazy.

Jun 18, 2010
130912111815-large.jpg

About a quarter of the injuries that happen on the softball field come from players getting hit with a ball, either thrown or batted at them. Most vulnerable are the pitcher, base runner, and third baseman. When they do occur, the injuries are almost always serious, oftentimes including a bone fracture, says Smith.

Journal Reference:

Derek Nevins, Lloyd Smith. Influence of Ball Properties on Simulated Ball-to-Head Impacts. Procedia Engineering, 2013; 60: 4 DOI: 10.1016/j.proeng.2013.07.002

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
130216-F-ES880-149.jpg

The ball made contact with my face, and I dropped to the ground, screaming. There was blood everywhere.

My face was not a pretty sight--the bone that connects to the top row of teeth was now broken. My left front tooth and the one next to it broke off and pushed back into my mouth. My teeth went through the skin of my upper lip, leaving two gaping holes in it. Blood was oozing onto the field.
That looks painful... were you pitching when this happened?

Jun 18, 2010
That looks painful... were you pitching when this happened?

Not my DD, thank goodness. The image and story are from a google search on "hit by softball".

But I did break by son's nose warming him up before a baseball game he was scheduled to pitch. We were playing catch, he was probably 8, the ball went over his glove and smashed his nose requiring specialized surgery. That's why I am such an advocate of masks, at least at the amateur level, and especially for girls.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
After over $12,000 in dr bills, surgery, and still having issues with MY nose, I also ask my players to wear one. It's up the player. But my dd's will have one anytime they are in the infield.

image.jpg

This was a missed warm up throw.

There is not one logical excuse not to wear one. None.

Last edited:

flarays

Stingrays Gold
Mar 20, 2013
Sunny Orlando Florida
No.....it was at the old Queen City Speedway softball complex on Cincinnati-Dayton Road. It happened around 1984 or 1985. The guy's name is Paul. He slid in with his face towards the play. The throw came from RCF towards 3B. The 3B ran up towards 2B like he was cutting off the ball, then fired it to second to try to get Paul out. The throw was too far to the first base side of 2B.

I used to play a lot of SP at Berliner at that time and actually saw a couple of those. One was a Cinc team Dubois Chemical. UGLY - nose and teeth destroyed.

Sep 11, 2013
Our TB manager/HC whose daughter also pitches bought the whole team (his own money, not from the team account) Schutt face masks. Our organization does not require them, but I bet every single one of the girls will be wearing them lest they insult his generosity. Btw, DD already wore a mask at every infield position, but it was a plastic one. Hoping she adjusts well with the different mask. DXH coaches the LL team and highly encourages all the girls to wear one as well. About half actually do. Both teams are 10u.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd