Arm extension after POC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I tell the hitters that they must begin to swing without knowing where the ball is, that the Body is getting ready for the Bat.

Of all the cues forbidden, knob to ball is not that bad.

I am big into the body getting into position during the "reading of the pitch". That said, a good swing is performed with direction. If you break the swing down into simply "short-to"/"around" and "long-through"/"along", then from my vantage point the "short-to"/"around" is performed with the establishment of direction in mind. The "release/cast/flail/throw" into the "long-through/"along" is performed with the direction established during the "short-to"/"around".

Howe speaks of turning the barrel to the plate. Not a bad notion ... actually a very good notion.

Let me explain ... at the completion of the "short-to"/"around" the body is roughly in the RVP Connection Point position. A knob turned to the outside edge of the plate will assist the throw/cast/flail of the barrel to opposite field. A knob turned to a line between the pitcher & plate, on the "inside", will assist in the throw/cast/fail of the barrel for an inside pitch.

Stated simply ... the "short-to"/"around" takes place with the notion of establishing direction.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Howe - I think we're on the same page on this. The cue "knob to the ball" COULD be used to describe what we see happening in the Buster and Mig clips RDB posted above, in a very simplified way, for the adjustments they are making to the pitch location. Certainly, it's a cue that has been part of hitting instruction for a very long time. Of course, that's not all that's going on. That cue, taken literally and over-baked with additional push/pull actions included, can lead a hitter down a very bad path, like what is shown in the clip I posted before.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
mann, I believe it's so much simpler. Teach the hitter the proper release and contact positions and slowly get them to square the ball over and over - hitting line drives. Once they understand that feeling, they will begin to teach themselves. They will begin to add the micro movements needed to gain additional oomph.

That's not to say other aspects won't need to be coached or tweaked, but the overall goal is learning to hit the ball with consistency and authority. Some of these guys have it bass ackwards. They think you're supposed to teach a hitter how to swing first THEN hit...

This is so true.

It is why I pitch buckets of balls to each hitter with the effort targeting "hand path".

Get a good top hand path committed to memory and you've built a hitter that will square a high percentage of balls.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Almost forgot Eric. We on these boards are supposed to be the educated. We should be spreading the word and correcting those who misuse cues and drills. Otherwise, hitters will continue to suffer and be confused. Seeing young hitters lose frames in their swings while their hands are dropping - among other things - can be avoided if the cues are explained and used correctly. But avoiding some cues altogether because of past beliefs may be a disservice to some who may benefit from them. And I bet you would be hard pressed to find any Pro today, who has NOT been given some of these very cues that guys on these boards fight so hard to avoid uttering...

Excellent post!! It is my belief that much of the confusion is between well meaning coaches and young hitters who don't quite understand. "Knowing" something does not make you a "teacher/instructor".

Last edited: