Appeal to ump

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I've been taught this mechanic in clinics. Don't give up the call but verbally ask a question, receive an answer from partner, then with this additional information make the call. Wouldn't do it if had not pregamed it and with a partner who I know is on same page. Example: "Partner did she pull her foot?" "yes!" "Safe!!"

But it works well. Much quicker and cleaner than making a call, stopping the game, waiting for coach to come complain, then having the Umpire huddle followed by a reversed call. Even if you get it right it dosent look good.

It all goes south in a hurry when the other umpire did NOT see the play and is left with only 2 options 1) to admit that they didn't see the play, or 2) say No, she didn't pull the foot (because you absolutely can not say that the foot was pulled if you didn't see the play). The first option essentially is an admission that a) your partner was not doing the job that you expected of them and b) makes your ultimate call appear to be a guess. The second option can seriously undermine your partner's credibility and often incites an even bigger coach/crowd response when everyone else in the ball park clearly saw the foot come off. IMO, everyone is better off if an umpire makes and is accountable for a call, but is willing to change the call to get it right when subsequently presented with new information by their partner. But that means you have to man up and be willing to admit that you were wrong, Some would rather play it safe and get it wrong rather than risk being wrong, but getting it right.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2013
This is a prescribed mechanic for some associations, so get your nose into more manuals. A partner failing to do his job is not a basis for rejecting a better mechanic. My partner may be sleeping when I ask for help on a checked swing, but it doesn't mean I don't go. And, hey, if it happens one time that my partner has his head somewhere it doesn't belong and he gets called out on it, he oughta be ready for the rest of his career to get that call right. He can learn to do that correctly the same way he learned any other mechanics.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
This is a prescribed mechanic for some associations, so get your nose into more manuals. A partner failing to do his job is not a basis for rejecting a better mechanic. My partner may be sleeping when I ask for help on a checked swing, but it doesn't mean I don't go. And, hey, if it happens one time that my partner has his head somewhere it doesn't belong and he gets called out on it, he oughta be ready for the rest of his career to get that call right. He can learn to do that correctly the same way he learned any other mechanics.

Or maybe the partner has his own responsibilities that preclude watching the play with the least priority on the field. And then you still have a live ball and possible subsequent plays.

Apr 4, 2015
, the base umpire goes for help right away. Don't allow a shirt storm on the field. Preventing one is always better than cleaning it up. There is no logical justification for waiting.
This is completely wrong make your call and if a coach appeals then go to your partner for help. Do not go straight to your partner because then it will create a shirt storm do to the fact it looks like you are unsure of your self. All that will come from this is more trouble from coaches towards you. Not to mention you must always make a call first because it determines the rest of the play. Either way one side will be dissatisfied but do not make it worse then what it already is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi