Anything good in this swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
[video=youtube_share;eKCEV9lPGIM]http://youtu.be/eKCEV9lPGIM[/video]
I like some of it but not all of it. Specifically the fire. Not much after that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 154

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
Yeah, I don't know how to get her hips and legs engaged. I bought a video to hopefully learn some drills to teach me so I can teach her.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
It appears her hips are turning only to get out of the way of her hands. She should coil into her back hip and then use her lower back muscles to "whip" her torso around, unwinding from the bottom up. Her core muscles are a large muscle group that should be engaged.

The Walkthrough/Happy Gilmore would be a great drill to have her learn this:

ministep.gif

Notice how the hips are used in this clip. Your DD would benefit greatly from doing it like the kid in this clip. Good luck!

Aug 24, 2011
I agree with the others. Along those lines and the core strength that was mentioned, hip flexibility is important.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Looks like a 'attack opposite' drill swing. Which isn't a bad thing. I would use a tee. I would place the tee facing a fence or net. I would have to tee about 3 or 4 feet away from the fence. I would hit into the fence straight line drives. I would adjust her swing from there depending on where the ball hits into the fence.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I like to see more aggression from a swing. Is she holding back trying to make contact? I really like to see hitters getting after it and she looks like she is leaving a lot of power on the table. Forget mechanics for a minute, first and foremost a hitter needs to want to rip the cover off the ball. I see a more passive approach here.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
I agree with the arm bar part. It's causing the elbows to lose their spacing relative to each other:
Collapsed Elbows.jpg

A great drill to work on this is the Barrel Path Drill:
BarrelPathDrill.gif

The hands should look closer to this at contact:
Elbow Position at Contact.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC