Any thoughts about Bill Redmer as a pitching coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Redmer is the one that teaches a very weak style of pitching. He is also the one that claimed that the /leap amd drag' style was illegal because it is illegal to leap in the ASA rulebook.

If you signed up for his news letter, or whatever it is, he used to tell you to use your PIN as your password. Many folks got a rude awakening a year later when they were billed to their credit cards without their permission.

I strongly suggest finding someone else and Ernie Parker will back me up on that/

Here are my instructors frim the registry

WISCONSIN

Winneconne. WI. Stacey Hunter staceysstrikezone@outdrs.net 920-410-7942 Pitching instruction given at STACEY'S STRIKEZONE 6789 Frontier Rd. Winneconne, WI 10 years exp.
__________________________________________________________________-
Greendale, WI. Steve Nichols snichols4@wi.rr.com 414-425-0284 Pitching instruction beginner to advanced. Member NFCA

Madison, WI. Lindsey Snow (708) 243-1250 Pitching instruction, beginning to advanced, private and group lessons.
---------------------------------------------
Platteville, WI Tina Davies TinaDavies821@hotmail.com Beginning to advanced pitching instruction.
Lacrosse, WI. Jim Hansen jhans88@hotmail.com 608-788-9466 'Gametime Sportz' in LaCrosse. 5 years experience as a pitching instructor.
Orfordville, WI. Bill Redmer 608-879-3209 fastpitchusa@inwave.com . Private instruction. 25 years experience beginners to advanced. USA FastPitch Pitching Academy, Orfordville, WI. Fast Pitch USA Today

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2012
Wi
The V I understand but the elbow not going above shoulder height is where things seem strange. He also uses a slide pivot step "wind Up" similar to a baseball pitcher windup (not pitching from the stretch) and a very short step at that. Likens the rotation of the hips to that of a flywheel feels that's where the power is generated.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Inde, do you want us to explain why what he is saying is wrong? Do you want videos of other pitchers? (Go to the "Model Pitcher" thread. There are many, many videos of great pitchers. See how many close violently at release.)

But, Redmer is right about one thing: Your DD won't get hurt using his style. She won't be pitching, so she'll be really safe in the dugout.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I am a little leery of the Windmill Pitcher book (fine to read it for history), a lot has changed since 1997. Werner endorses the book and although I can't find her full paper, folks use her research to support slamming the door.

Seems a mixed message to me to have Hillhouse and an old book with a figure 4 on the cover.

To carry my concerns further, the group that likes closing the door (claiming correctly or incorrectly that Werner says its good for you) also doggedly holds onto the step or ground style. Although I have no idea what Redmer's "less obvious windmill" above claims to be (and sounds like its wrong), Werner, lastly, speaks up in the other direction for straight long arms on the downswing, which is not correct, either. IR fans See this>

files.leagueathletics.com/Text/Documents/2981/15758.doc

All red flags and confusion to me. Socal does that book talk about closing the door?

And what poster on here supports not pitching in the off season?

I also think the change can be introduced around the fifth or so lesson.

Screwy - well I guess its a small victory that I gave the original poster 13 ideas, things to think about and you can only criticize 3 of the them! Real quick:

- I recommended the The Windmill Pitcher book so that he can start understanding some of the basics concepts, differing techniques, pitching strategies, etc. that are espoused. I agree there are not too many "modern" books illustrating the fine art of pitching. It would be wonderful if some of the experts would publish one or two. Again its about educating this parent about what to look for and pros and cons of each style.

- Pitching in the off-season: there has been some threads from posters stating that they encourage taking 2 - 3 months off completely from pitching during the off-season. They even cite the great Nolan Ryan and his longevity in MLB as him taking several months off. I disagree with this concept for the pitcher who wants to improve her craft.

- When to intro c/u - I like the pitchers who I have worked with to have a solid foundation with mechanics for the fastball before introducing the change-up. IMO, there is no rush to start working on the change-up the first year. But it would depend a lot on the age of the pitcher and how quickly they can grasp the basic mechanics.

By the way, just so we are clear, I am not an advocate of the "closing the door" mechanics. On the contrary, the more open the better.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
socalsoftballdad I tried to message you, your box is full. Can you send me the specific link to the internal rotation you spoke about? Thank you to everybody for your thoughts

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
I want to thank everybody for their input regarding Bill Redmer, but also for the suggestions. I watched some of the recommended video from specific coaches and read re-read and read again the recommended post on Internal rotation and after that I started my daugher down the road to L&D. Without having to do a crazy slide, pivot step wind up she was more on balance the ball was popping the glove and she seemed to be more in control. I would imagine like most beginnning pitchers we need to work on driving as she is still at this point more of stepper but I think we can get there. DD seemed after some initial hesitation to embrace the change. Thanks again and have a good weekend

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd