Another young pitcher hurt by a ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 7, 2014
she is fine now once they got the bleeding under control the seizures and concussion symptoms subsided she is back playing now and bless her heart back pitching. What was even worse if it could be worse her father was deployed to afghanistan when it happened and then later got sent home because he had a heart attack :(

Jul 2, 2013
What's scary is that the mask had to have slown the ball down some on impact. Imagine if she didn't have one on in that instance.

Nov 7, 2014
absolutely It was terrifying the ball deflected clear out into the outfield in foul territory of right field...

Dec 27, 2014
I wish insurance companies required this... it would put an end to the majority of these types of injuries.

DD rec league implemented face mask rule for batting helmets to go along with pre-existing mask rule for pitchers. At 10u a fair amount of parents were grumbling about having to add the mask to the helmet but all support the pitcher mask and many fielders wear the mask even on her ASA team.

First rec game of the year last night. After pitching the first inning she pitched the 2nd without her mask. Struck out the side and we noticed when she came in. We got on her about it because we felt bad that WE messed up and did not notice it. LOL. She is nine and accidentally bit her lip so hard, a few days ago at the dentist, it swelled up huge. Made her look like the elephant girl. She said the chin guard hurts her lip when it rubs just below the lip. DW was mortified at the thought of even a softly hit ball making contact with that area. No harm no foul. :)

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
By human nature:
We don't like change
We don't like someone mandating a new idea
It usually takes a traumatic event to change our minds/ways

My DD played in the circle since 4, started pitching shortly after that. Threw 1000's of pitches to 1000's of batters, only got hit in the face once her senior year. She had no interest in a mask until that ride to the ER, she had me order her one in the waiting room. Her not wearing one earlier was probably my fault, coming from a family of baseball pitchers it might have made her feel inferior?

Lots of baseball players wear cups to shield their.......stuff. Are we saying protecting one head is more important than the other?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Batting helmets weren't mandatory until about 1990. I have never worn one. I believe that face masks on the helmet aren't required under LL rules.

Feb 7, 2013
My DD said something last night about wanting the GDD to do gymnastics. I told her it is ok, with me. I kept my kids out of baseball/softball until they were 10, because injuries were rampant, even 25 years ago.

Let's not be an alarmist here. Most softball rec leagues I'm familiar with use safety balls (reduction in force balls) until 12U so the chances of serious injury before 12U is remote. Also, gymnastics has its own share of injuries and I wouldn't be surprised if the number is greater than softball/baseball.

Most sports are inherently dangerous, but with the proper equipment and instruction, the vast majority of athletes will be fine.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Hmmmph. Here's a suggestion for that coach. Go stand 37 feet from home and have a few girls with good technique and $300 bats hit a ball off a tee. See how many he can field. And that's without the power of the pitch behind it. Real easy to make those statements when you're not the one standing there vulnerable.

I would do it. Based on my experience the safest place in the world would be to stand exactly where you wanted them to hit the ball.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Might have been a great story with a compelling message but I clicked close as soon as I read the following:

"Did you know that the average high school pitcher pitches 62-65 mphs?"

Added: So I tried to be fair and tried to read it again. Then I came across this gem:

"Game time was getting closer, so Frankie and I decided to start warming up. I was pitching, and my thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS) started to act up. I shook it off, and continued to throw a few more pitches until I just could not to handle the pain anymore.

TOS is an injury I developed over the years of pitching. My nerves that run from my neck to my hand are involved. The nerves compress each one which then cuts off circulation throughout my arm. Eventually over time the muscles around the nerves become inflamed. My hand becomes all red and has a tingly sensation that will not go away until I put numbing cream on it. There is no cure for it; the doctor just tells me to get a massage and stop when I cannot handle the pain anymore."

The intent of this article is to advocate for face masks. I see something much different message. Players, parents, and coaches need to exercise common sense. Mask, no mask, even in full body armor there is no way this kid should have been allowed to throw a pitch.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32