Another tryout question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
What all parents need to realize is that you are not alone. You may make a decision for a specific reason only to find out later that the circumstances have changed.

My DD's first 2 years playing 12U travel,
we made decisions based upon information that, to my fault, was not thoroughly researched enough.

Doing my best to learn from past experiences, this time around.

My experience with tryout season is that is can be a big game of musical chairs,
and with so much in flux, it's very hard to get reliable information on: Tournament schedule, roster, coaching, open positions, anticipated pitching roster, etc.
Teams can be very cagey when you ask these hard questions.
So, in a lot of ways, you are forced to make somewhat of a leap of faith, and hope it works out for the best, when you have multiple offers.

But holding out for information and answers to your questions, and resisting the fear/urge to "sit down" too early when the music stops,
might be the better strategy. Maybe.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
My DD's first 2 years playing 12U travel,
we made decisions based upon information that, to my fault, was not thoroughly researched enough.

Doing my best to learn from past experiences, this time around.

My experience with tryout season is that is can be a big game of musical chairs,
and with so much in flux, it's very hard to get reliable information on: Tournament schedule, roster, coaching, open positions, anticipated pitching roster, etc.
Teams can be very cagey when you ask these hard questions.
So, in a lot of ways, you are forced to make somewhat of a leap of faith, and hope it works out for the best, when you have multiple offers.

But holding out for information and answers to your questions, and resisting the fear/urge to "sit down" too early when the music stops,
might be the better strategy. Maybe.

To me this time of year is when most people will see the business side of travel softball. Some organizations will play games with players. Some players or parents will play games with organizations. I'm really not sure which side is worse because I have seen plenty of both. There are more and more organizations in my area that require a fee at tryouts. I expect that trend to continue.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Well update on situation. Both teams that DD went to this weekend have called me. DD use to be a catcher and even though she has been cleared to play softball from her spine surgeon, I think playing catcher is too much of a risk to her back. PT told us that the five discs below her fusion would get much more pressure on them than a normal spine, and I think that all the up and down of catcher position is just too much. Both teams at tryouts had coaches that were familiar with DD, and both of them wanted her to catch. Both were informed of the reason why she would not be catching.
One team today still asked if there was any way that I would let her catch, as they really wanted her. Gave them the same answer, and same reason. This team then asked if she would be their center fielder.
Other team that she tried out for had her pitch at practice. She has not pitched since she was 12 and is now 15. One of the coaches remembered her and said, well let's see what you look like. One of them told her during tryout that she was clocked as the fastest out of all of the girls trying out at pitcher. (didn't tell her the speed so I don't know, last time she pitched at 12YOA she threw about 46-48. Obviously control was not there. She hasn't even thrown a ball for a year, let alone pitched. Well, amazingly, this team called and wants to see her again, and they want her to pitch. Crazy last few days, and I have not told DD about either call yet. We have another tryout tonight.

Jun 24, 2011
I would encourage anyone looking to join a TB or College team to make sure both DD and you have an opportunity to talk to the players. We typically get our players together, introduce them to the parents of the prospective player and then my AC and I leave. No question is off limits and the players are told to be honest. My DD and DW got the same treatment when my DD did her official visit at SC. Aside from the actual offer it was the highlight of the trip. :)

That's really cool - I wish more coaches had enough faith in their programs to emulate what you do!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA