Another Poor Sportsmanship Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
That should help recruiting

A lesson to be learned for all here. We should tape the part of the Miranda warning that says "Anything you say can and will be held against you". There is no private
posts or off the record conversation. To AD's, make sure you hire adults as coaches.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
My day job is in PR. When we do media training, the first thing we teach spokespeople is that nothing is off the record, no matter what your'e told. Truthfully, the reporter seems to have treated the comments as off the record in terms of not publishing them. But he may have gotten them back to the coach anyway, which should make any player think twice about speaking with that reporter. Work on your cliches.

As far as the incident itself, that's just shameful on the coaches' part if true. And yes, I would feel that way if it were football. I heard stories about coaches whose job it was to run players out of a program (literally) when the HC didn't want them anymore. They'd do brutal conditioning on those kids until they quit. Didn't much care for that when I heard it either.

I know an excellent pitcher who basically got run out of a college program because the PC didn't like her. The PC would call the same pitch to the same location over and over until the other team started hitting it. Then she'd have an excuse to take her out. If the pitcher shook off the call, or threw something else she'd get yelled at by the PC when she came in - even if she got the out. And I mean yelled at, as in the PC threw hissy fits and cussed her out for defying her. HC did nothing to improve the situation. The pitcher quit the team after her freshman year, which was a shame because she really loved the game and had dedicated her whole young adult life to it.

Happy ending, though. The pitcher stayed at the school, got involved in other things and is having the time of her life. I'm still sorry she's not playing, and her dad is, but she's moved on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877