Another Pitcher's Parent correcting my DD?? WTH?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
You have to teach your DD the "Smile and Nod". Typically she gets all sorts of batting advice on game day from parents, coaches, sisters, brothers, umpires, you name it.

Teach your DD's the "why" when you are teaching them the "how" and it will never be an issue.

Having said that I have gotten the smile and nod from a few girls myself, when clearly they have the wrong approach. So while I have told my daughter to "smile and nod" at advice I have also told her to never discount anything from anyone.

1. Do high level players use the technique being discussed? (If yes, go to question #2)
2. Does it make sense (is it practical, does it have a reason behind it)? (If no, then go back to question one because either you don't understand the technique or you don't understand why high level players are doing what they do.)

Aug 20, 2013
I guess his heart is in the right place but I was just disheartened that he would think it was ok to speak directly to my child when he knows I practice with her and takes lessons. I would never correct his because I know how hard they work. Whether I feel his instruction is wrong or right--it just isn't my business or place.

I guess I just feel disrespected.

Namaste!
-GG

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Your getting a taste of what I've dealt with by the high school coaches for two years now. DD's current HS coach made her do pushups if she had a bent arm or didn't finish HE style....

Feb 7, 2013
We have all been there and it won't be the last time someone tries to correct her. One time I was warming up my pitching DD and a grandfather of a teammate who was watching us from his car in the parking lot, gets out of his car walks up to me and says "she is a good pitcher but needs to finish like this" and demonstrates a Hello Elbow finish! I said "thanks" and continued to warm her up as usual using correct mechanics.

The DFP group is proud of you that you have educated yourself enough to recognize bad advice immediately. Good job!

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
This sounds like the Dunning–Kruger effect. This is when unskilled people have the illusion of superior knowledge/competence. They mistakenly rate themselves much higher than average. They also don’t have the ability to recognize their own deficit.

The funny thing about Dunning-Kruger is that actual competence will probably weaken self-confidence because they understand what they don’t know.

Someone can still be well-meaning and only have the good of the player in mind when giving their expert advice and still suffer from Dunning-Kruger.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Your getting a taste of what I've dealt with by the high school coaches for two years now. DD's current HS coach made her do pushups if she had a bent arm or didn't finish HE style....

Serious??? I would have a heart to heart with HS coach if that happened to my daughter.

I absolutely despise unsolicited advice, especially when it's of the you-will-do-this-or-else tone, on pitching or hitting when the player has a pitching or hitting coach.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
This is not the last time your daughter will get bogus advice from a parent or coach. Just teach her to smile, nod, say thanks and then ignore it if it doesn't line up with the rest of her training. Don't fret about it, it really isn't that big of a deal.

I got a kick out of the stories my pitching students told me regarding the suggestions the various people in the HS coaching staff gave regarding what they needed to do with their pitching mechanics. There were no fewer than six coaches, each feeling the need to add to the suggestion cesspool. Now it is one thing when a suggestion fits right in with the mechanics the pitcher is learning. It's quite another when the suggestion is out of complete ignorance.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have been helping some 10 yo catchers and they and their families are very thankful. They have to put up with a coach that is yelling at them, to "stay on their toes."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1