Another Pitcher's Parent correcting my DD?? WTH?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2013
I have stewed about this all weekend trying to let it go. But I guess I can't.

My DD said that another pitcher's parent pulled her aside and said "you know how to get the most power in pitching--a straight arm."

I posted on FB about how thrilled we were, with a pic, that we were finally getting a slight bend in the elbow instead of muscling the ball around.

I turned them on to where we take lessons, so I know we are getting similar instruction.

I told my DD that he was incorrect and showed her several slow motion examples of the bent elbow. I guess I could see why someone would "think" the arm is straight.

We have just worked so hard, but I didn't think I would have to work against this as well.

GG

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Gator,

Nothing quite like the armchair pitching experts who haven't got a clue.

What you have described has happened to my three pitching students. They've been taught to cordially say, "Thanks. I'll discuss that with MY PITCHING COACH."

You just have to learn to ignore this horse manure.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Teach her to say "And I will ruin my shoulder. Please get up to date, with your info."
Sorry, I have had it with all the free advice that comes from some know it all.

Jun 24, 2013
Their heart is in the right place so be easy on them.

I know your DD is young so you need to intercede. I think DD was 12 before she was able to start using the but my pitching coach says type line.

Telling coaches to leave your DD alone is a little trickier, other people no problem. Just politely tell them that she is working on other things right now and will look at the arm position later. Also tell them that you practice at lot with her and that if they have an advice you would appreciate it if they would discuss it with you.

If that doesn’t work be more forceful the next conversation. No reason for your DD to be around to hear either conversation.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Teach her to say "And I will ruin my shoulder. Please get up to date, with your info."
Sorry, I have had it with all the free advice that comes from some know it all.

I think I've got a good idea..... Have some business cards that say, "Are you REALLY curious about learning proper pitching mechanics?" Then have the link below it directing them to Boardmember's sticky on IR. Then when some armchair expert steps forward and offers unsolicited advice, you can simply say "Here, this might help YOU."

Jun 7, 2013
I hear you. I was just stunned he had the nerve to pull a 10 year old kid aside without the coach or parent present, he goes to the same instructor and I KNOW the instructor doesn't tell him that.

He even bought the power drive so he had to have seen the slow motion of A. Scar. So I just did a passive aggressive thing and posted her vid on FaceBook again explaining what I mean--saying so many had private messaged me--lol. Hopefully he will get it without realizing.

I understand how you feel. At one point this "advice" did infuriate me but then I realized, we don't have to take it. In fact, now that I am and my daughters are more sophisticated we can have a good laugh about it! It does pay to realize, however, that most of these people do mean well. The other part of mentioning discussing the advice with her pitching coach should make this person realize that there advice is, probably, not needed.

Good luck with this!

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
This is not the last time your daughter will get bogus advice from a parent or coach. Just teach her to smile, nod, say thanks and then ignore it if it doesn't line up with the rest of her training. Don't fret about it, it really isn't that big of a deal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1