Another bat sizing question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2014
My daughter is currently using a 32" bat but she has extremely long arms. She is 13, 6' tall and about 140-145 pounds. She still hasn't reached her full physical maturity and height so we are really unsure what to do about her current bat. I have a feeling this will be the year with the biggest changes for her physically. When they're super tall do they need these long bats or can't they just reach with their arms a little? I don't want to fit this to her height and end up with her struggling to swing it. Do we wait and see what happens before spring/summer ball? The bat just looks small when she is holding it to her side, but from her weight you can tell she isn't a solid girl yet. She has good muscle tone but she's still in that "growing girl" stage and kinda like a great dane puppy.

ETA: Current bat is the 2014 xeno

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
There is more to selecting the right size bat than just being able to reach the ball. A longer bat will have greater barrel velocity. A heavier bat will put more mass behind the ball. As far as reach, she may be able to reach across the plate just fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if she struggles with low pitches.

For comparison sake, my 5'-0" 11yo DD swings a 31, and my 5'-3" 17yo DD swings a 32. At 6'-0" tall, my inclination would be to recommend a 34.

Jun 11, 2012
I'd have her swing a bigger bat and see how she feels with it.
DD is 5'4" and a whopping 105 lbs and swings a 33/23 2015 Xeno but she prefers a heavier bat. Some girls like a lighter bat.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would see if she can try a teammates 33/23 and if there is not a significant drop in swing speed, make the change.

Jan 27, 2014
I will encourage her to try one of the longer bats at practice this weekend. Of course most the other girls who are significantly shorter than her are swinging 33" bats or even longer. Knowing a longer bat can create greater barrel velocity might convince her to try and get used to something bigger.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I will encourage her to try one of the longer bats at practice this weekend. Of course most the other girls who are significantly shorter than her are swinging 33" bats or even longer. Knowing a longer bat can create greater barrel velocity might convince her to try and get used to something bigger.

If you have access to a pocket radar, see if you can measure the ball exit speeds with both sizes for comparison. If she is hesitant to go to the longer/heavier bat, buy a choke up and put it on the handle. I used these for my DD whenever she moved up a bat size.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCockell