Always Late!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
If I understand this is a machine pitch scenario. Keep in mind that players with the most advanced timing mechanisms like the one you show here will hit the worst, and be thrown off the most, by pitching machines. Especially machines where you can't see the ball.

Very much agree. I commented above to start from a pre-loaded stance when hitting off the machine, but I think I should have posted it above the gif to make it more prominent. Seems a bit of a shame to start the little ones off on a machine. The pitches are probably more consistent than most coaches, but a bummer to time.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I think you should shoot and post a video. The issue may totally be a swing mechanics issue and have nothing to do with vision, timing, and mental approach.

Jul 21, 2015
I think you should shoot and post a video. The issue may totally be a swing mechanics issue and have nothing to do with vision, timing, and mental approach.

^This. Without actually seeing the swing, we're all just guessing.

Feb 7, 2013
Guys, remember that this girl is 7YO! Keep her mechanics simple and as she gets more reps, her timing of the ball will get better. On a side note: pitching machines should be banned from softball (and baseball) for that matter since they in no way replicate a real pitch thrown by a pitcher.

Nov 2, 2015

I shot a quick video last night night. I won't post it, as she's not my daughter, and I'm not putting someone else's kid on the interwebs....
She's got some bat drag going on, so i'll work on that, and if I zoom in, I'm pretty sure her eyes are closed.....

I'll get her hitting, if it's the last thing I do!

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I see 18yr olds that have difficulty timing a machine. I'm not a huge advocate of machines and I prefer front toss. But when I do use one, I help correct timing by holding a ball in he chute with my left hand while going through a windmill rotation with my right. I then push the ball in at the correct moment. This helps give the girls a timing cue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414