advice from Cat Osterman (facebook)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2011
Lakeville, MA
I agree with Cat. I did not start until 12, although I played other positions.

It is adults who have issues not being able to compete, with balance and "not pushing them too much." It can be done, it is in our attitudes.

You DO NOT have to play and practice every spare minute to be better than the competition. You just have to have quality practice minutes, provide for good rest and build confidence.

Trust me if you have to do so many reps at 8, by the time you are 15, you have no more reps to give. I see it all the time. Never mind having something in the tank for college.

I totally agree with the QUALITY practice minutes. You can spend hours everyday just throwing the ball....it's the time spent perfecting the correct muscle memory that counts. That doesn't take hours per day. It also keeps them loving the FUN of the game.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I read the Cat quote and no where does she say, girls under 12 should not pitch. She doesn't say good pitchers begin after 10... She says, let your girls enjoy the game. You don't have to make it a chore with the goal of college at 10 years old.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Is it bad that at 9 one of my dds goals is to pitch not only in college, but professionaly? I did not tell her to have this as a goal. I'm sure this might change and even more sure that as she experiences more life she will modify and add more goals. I do not push her towards this, only encourage her to dream and believe(I think I read that some where:D).

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Is it bad that at 9 one of my dds goals is to pitch not only in college, but professionaly? I did not tell her to have this as a goal. I'm sure this might change and even more sure that as she experiences more life she will modify and add more goals. I do not push her towards this, only encourage her to dream and believe(I think I read that some where:D).

I don't think thats a bad thing. I also think you can follow Cats advice and allow her to have fun with the game, as long as she has a goal and you keep your expectations in check until she is older. I think its a great thing.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Plus, if you are not tall, you won't be pitching in college

Not true unless you wanted your kid in the WCW's. I know a dozen DD pitchers from our area ( 5'4 - 5'8 ) getting a free education in d2 to JR colleges. Less than 1% of us on this board will ever see our kids play in the top 10 softball programs in this country.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Watch the movie Moneyball. The scouts sitting around table talking about players who look like ball players. "He has a good face"... Its not that far off from the truth. Results matter a lot. But when you have 2 kids with similar results, the preconceived notion of what a ball player looks like will spring up. I think it sucks, but I fear its the way it is.

Oct 22, 2009
Not true unless you wanted your kid in the WCW's. I know a dozen DD pitchers from our area ( 5'4 - 5'8 ) getting a free education in d2 to JR colleges. Less than 1% of us on this board will ever see our kids play in the top 10 softball programs in this country.

The one I mentioned that didn't start till she was 11 was pushing 5'2" at 17. She started locally at a JUCO, then moved on to a D1, she didn't like then settled with a D2 she like more. All on full scholarship.

Jul 1, 2010
Screwball said "Plus, if you are not tall, you won't be pitching in college even if you are the greatest thing since sliced bread."

Thanks a ton. I'll pass that to DD right after I tell her no matter how smart you are you'll never be an engineer, doctor or lawyer because you are a girl!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283