Adjustments with DD swing. Looking for Analysis w/video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

medicpelle

You are looking live.....
Feb 11, 2013
Grand Lake Oklahoma
Background info. DD turned 12 in Aug. 4'10" and 80lbs on a good day. Bat is a -10 30". Is naturally right handed but has batted left since she was able to stand on her own. Not interested in any dominate eye/hand conversations just an honest analysis of her swing. Trying to incorporate a coil and tonight was the first attempt. I'm having a hard time with her falling off the ball at contact. First video is original swing and second is our coil attempt.

[video=youtube_share;-BC50pVcvkk]http://youtu.be/-BC50pVcvkk[/video]

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Pretty nice swing. Looks like she has a good hand path
She is starting all back and is all forward in her swing. I would try to create some hips forward / hands back sequence. Alittle more power will be added to her swing with that adjustment
The other adjustment would be i would stand her bat up abit taller. Will make her bat path alittle better

hips forward/hands back

Straightleg

Attachments

• Perfect seperation at the right time.jpg
    Perfect seperation at the right time.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Background info. DD turned 12 in Aug. 4'10" and 80lbs on a good day. Bat is a -10 30". Is naturally right handed but has batted left since she was able to stand on her own. Not interested in any dominate eye/hand conversations just an honest analysis of her swing. Trying to incorporate a coil and tonight was the first attempt. I'm having a hard time with her falling off the ball at contact. First video is original swing and second is our coil attempt.

I'm wondering about the (collar ???) on the Tee...??? Nice Swing...Nice Space !!!

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
She is starting all back

She starts with weight even on both feet in the stance, but I assume what you're saying is that she glides or sways back without lifting the front foot and gets in the position of the still frame in the original post, which effectively speaking is 'starting all back'. ... First move should be to lift the front foot, right?

Also, while the hitter is not technically squishing the bug, the bottom half has spinning feel to it. Is that just me? Maybe it's because it lacks a forward coil of the hips. Maybe it's because the batter's center of gravity is too much over the back foot? When you glide back, you have to glide back forward, as opposed to having the back side resist the weight shift back.

But looks like a pretty good 12-year-old swing that just needs a few adjustments.

medicpelle

Feb 11, 2013
Grand Lake Oklahoma
Pretty nice swing. Looks like she has a good hand path
She is starting all back and is all forward in her swing. I would try to create some hips forward / hands back sequence. Alittle more power will be added to her swing with that adjustment
The other adjustment would be i would stand her bat up abit taller. Will make her bat path alittle better

I agree on both suggestions, I have her on a few drills to help with the hips forward and hands back. She says she can feel it when her hands move to early or hip to late. By some of her facial expressions during her swings I believe her. She was working on her bat position last night as well Its dropped and become flat over the past two weeks for some reason.

The collar on the tee is factory, its a Muhl tee and its all plastic.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I like this swing a LOT. Her rock back looks to me like a style thing similar to some hitters who do a touch-back before their stride, she just doesn't move her front foot. It might also be a by-product of coaches telling her to "load early". With that cue, a lot of kids (my DD included) will push all their weight back and hold it there during wind-up before unloading everything forward. Typical all-back/all-forward swings will see the bat launch before stride touch-down during the the forward weight shift. I'm not seeing that here - this is a good thing!. She is keeping her hands back (in relation to her body) until after touchdown, and after her hips start their turn. I'm also seeing good pull with her back. All this is working to create an explosive launch with early bat speed. At this point, I'd be afraid to make any significant adjustments for fear of losing all the things that are going right. If she can already feel when she is launching her hands early and her bat position dropping, let her coach herself into more consistency.

If my DD is swinging the bat like this at 12yo, I'm going to be a pretty happy dad.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I think Straightleg is spot on with his comments. to me it seems like she overloads the back side getting all the way over her back foot but she looks better in the second clip on that than the first. I try to have her keep the back knee inside the back ankle.

I also agree her bat should be more straight up when she's in her hitting position.

But overall looks nice. As others have said it's more making adjustments at this point rather than trying to build a whole swing.

medicpelle

Feb 11, 2013
Grand Lake Oklahoma
I appreciate the comments and suggestions. As Lou stated I have also noticed she has been getting her back knee way over her foot, that to is a new glitch that we will be working on correcting along with her bat angle. I agree on the rebuild a whole swing theory. I have tried to teach her a solid foundation over the years which makes little changes easier to insert as needed. My goal is to dial in some of the minor fixes and maintain what we have been working on up this point as well as trying to add the "Rock/Coil/Uncoil". Like I said in the OP the first clip was her normal swing and the second was the addition of the rock/coil. She told me she feels like she is clearing through the zone faster with more bat control but is unsure of her timing off live pitching with the addition.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild