AC got PI$$ed at me, not sure he has a valid reason

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 16, 2012
I have an AC who's DD is a very good athlete. I met them both this year during TB practice over the winter. Got talking to him and he decided he wanted his DD to play Rec ball on my team since her team from last year split up due to lack of signups. I then asked him if he would like to be an AC and he accepted.

As many of you know, I took a major beating a few weeks ago on this board about pitching my daughter a complete game in Rec ball so I took a chance and pitched a girl our last game that has been working on her pitching with her father. She has never pitched in a real game but did well. Not much on the pitches but they were close to the plate. But, I only wanted her in there one inning to build her confidence and just get her a taste of pitching in a game.
I was then going to re enter my #2 pitcher that started the game.
Then my AC said he has been working with his daughter and asked if I could possibly get her in the game since we were winning handily. I said sure, she can go in the next inning. So, he goes to warm her up while we were at bat. Well, he decides she had an attitude during warmups and she wasn't going to pitch.. This threw my scorebook into disarray and I had to run the girl out there that was in last inning. She didn't do as well and I was afraid that would be the case. Although I think here confidence is still intact. However, she did walk a lot of batters resulting in our team only being up by 2 going into the last inning wiuth their big bats coming up.

So, the AC comes to me and said he thinks his DD is ready to go in now. I said no. Her chance was the last inning when we were up by 7. Not up by just 2 and this was not the right time for her pitching debut. He was not happy. I then put my girl in who is my #1 pitcher, and she closed out the game with 3 strike outs and preserved the win.

Now, it is NOT that I do not want the AC's DD to pitch, but just not in that situation. I know it is rec ball and "instructional" but I just feel that was NOT the time for her. I may be looking for a new AC.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Parents of pitchers do not need (nor do they ever have) a valid reason to be mad at a coach for not pitching their DDs. It comes with the territory. If you want to emphasize pitching your DD and winning a game over providing opportunities for other players, you will need to grow a thicker hide and learn to live with it. You are not going to make everyone happy on your team.

Apr 13, 2013
It sounds like you did the right thing.

The way your DD is going it sounds like you are going to have a lot of flexibility pitching different players. No matter how “fair” you try to be someone is going to be annoyed with you. The easy answer would be pitch #1 and #2 every inning but where is the fun in that.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Then my AC said he has been working with his daughter and asked if I could possibly get her in the game since we were winning handily. I said sure, she can go in the next inning.

You handled it well.

IMO, an assistant coach is exploiting his role if he is making these statements and requests in the middle of a game. Are other parents allowed to come in the dugout asking for favors like that? His job is to coach and advocate for all the girls, not look out for his own. If he wants to tell you before or after a game that she's been working on her pitching and would like a shot, that's a little different. But don't hit the head coach with ''my daughter'' requests during a game. It's selfish, IMO.

Apr 16, 2013
I totally agree. You did the right thing. I'm an AC on my kid's team and my job is to ASSIST my head coach. He does value my opinion and often goes with it, but I rarely offer it up until he asks. Even if I do offer up an opinion I always leave it with, "But you're the HC, you do what you think is best".

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You handled it well. You've got a system where any kid has the chance to pitch, which is wonderful.

But, you have a responsibility to the rest of the team not to let the game get out of hand. She'll get a chance next game. I bet she'll be ready next time. ;-)

These are good problems to have.

Apr 1, 2010
Why should AC be mad at you? He asked for a favor for his daughter, got it, then turned it down. If he wants to be mad at someone, he should look in the mirror IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207