A scary reminder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
My 9yo DD was pitching last night. We were home team up 6-1 with 2 outs, nobody on, and two strikes on the batter. She had dominated the whole game, and it looked like we were about on our way home. Next pitch got drilled back at her and dropped her like a rock. Watching from the dugout, it came back so fast I never saw it. I saw the pitch, heard it hit the bat, and saw her hit the ground.

Thankfully she took it in the thigh. She has one of the most impressive bruises I have seen in quite a long time, but that is about it. She wears a Rip-it mask, and this is exactly why. I know the mask thing has been debated to death, but untill its your DD laying out in the circle screaming, its hard to fully grasp how scary this is. That ball came back so fast, I honestly dont know how anyone could have dealt with it.

And of course when it happens, everyone in the crowd goes silent so you can really hear her screaming.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
Got another one. Our varsity game during the last inning the pitchers game face head strap broke. Well only 2 more outs left, coach got the broken equipment off the field but did not replace. Last hitter line drives one to her right in the gut, pitcher is fine, she got the out but she walked off the field doubled over. 12" higher it would have knocked out a few smiling teeth.

A couple of years ago in a middle school tourney I was coaching third base when one of our girls ripped a linedrive down the line. The thirdbaseman actually tipped it with her glove before it hit the top of her mask, then the ball ricocheted over the dugout and out of play. She wobbled for a second or two then hit her knees. It hit her so hard that the mask left marks on her forehead. It nearly scared me to death to be honest about it. She was not seriously impacted, but the thought of what could have been without the mask has really impacted the way I think about defensive masks.
Truth be told I after all the concussions that I have had from football, ranching, and foolishness, I have started wearing a hard hat when I coach bases.

Nov 8, 2010
2 weeks ago in our local select league game (14u) we were facing a team where no infielders were wearing masks. The pitcher was pretty good, fast but not a whole lot of movement to the ball. Our team was consistently getting hard hits off her from the very beginning of the game. The mask topic comes up on our side of the field with ALL of our parents commenting that we would never allow our DD's out there without them. 2 pitches later the opposing pitcher eats a rocket of a line drive. The damage report is pretty bad: broken jaw, broken orbital bone and her braces dug in and shredded the inside of her mouth but probably saved her teeth. No question that even with the mask she would have, at the very least, some whip lash and be a little shaken but nothing like what she got. Haven't seen the team since so we don't know if they've started wearing the mask or not. IMO there are 2 adults to blame for this, the parent and the coach. If it's not the parent's policy it should be the coaches. Any excuse or reason for why you would risk this kind of catastrophic injury is reckless, self-centered and just plain stupid.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
New role model for pitchers wearing masks thinking about college ball - Diedre Outon, University of Houston Cougars.

Happened to catch her pitching the other day on TV, was very happy to see the mask!! It's insane to have your DD out there with balls hurling at her face and no protection, I just don't understand it.

Jun 18, 2010
New role model for pitchers wearing masks thinking about college ball - Diedre Outon, University of Houston Cougars.

diedre1.png

diedre2.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgeremesz