A little help with understanding how Big Tournaments work

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 29, 2013
There is a "Western Nationals" tournament in Medford, Oregon this summer. How do teams get qualified to play in this tournament? Or do they have to qualify (meaning, any team can sign up to play in it)? I've asked several people and no one I've talked to seems to know the answer. What I'm trying to figure out is the likelihood my daughter's team will actually get to play in this tournament.

Thanks for your help!

You have to find out who is the sanctioning body. Then once you nail that down they should have a qualification process.

Some organizations "nationals" or "state" you can just sign up for others require you to get so many points form previous tournaments.

Apr 29, 2013
It's an ASA tournament. I've been looking at websites all morning trying to figure out what they are saying. :)

Jul 26, 2010
Your organization can play Western Nationals simply by playing another ASA qualifier tournament, such as your regional Metro tournament.

The "Western" (or Eastern, Southern, ect) Nationals are basically the big consolation tournaments for the ASA. Teams that win a berth at their regional Metros (usually by placing first, although some larger regions give multiple births for the top 2 or 3 finishers) get to go to "Nationals", which is the premier tournament for the ASA. Teams that placed high in the Western Nationals the year before get a berth to Nationals the next year, and teams that placed well at Nationals the year before also get a berth to Nationals the next year.

For instance, DD's team placed 2nd at Western Nationals last year and earned a berth to Nationals this year (where they will get creamed).

Your regional ASA should have a web page that spells this all out clearly. Most ASA regions also issue a tournament guide with their rulebook covering all of this for the current year.

-W

Apr 29, 2013
So just playing in the Metro Championships means we can play in Western Nationals? Thanks for the info!

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
There is a "Western Nationals" tournament in Medford, Oregon this summer. How do teams get qualified to play in this tournament? Or do they have to qualify (meaning, any team can sign up to play in it)? I've asked several people and no one I've talked to seems to know the answer. What I'm trying to figure out is the likelihood my daughter's team will actually get to play in this tournament.

Thanks for your help!

The proper person to contact to find out the qualifying procedure for this tournament is you local ASA Commissioner or JO Commissioner. You should be able to find their contact information at the ASA website Amateur Softball Association of America (ASA)

Feb 4, 2013
Cecelia if you live in Oregon all you have to do is play in the State Championship Tourney and you qualify.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24