A Dad's Swing...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York

You have no extensor action with your top hand to continue to pull your hands away while starting to turn the barrel. Notice the right arm in the pic and see how extensor action effects barrel turn and swing leveling. Without putting words in FFS' mouth, I believe this is what he is referring to as far as a seemless turning of the of the barrel.

extensor.jpg

As for the arrow pointing at the dude's hiney...no idea...not my pic

I have cage time on Monday and will get some vid...you are welcome to unmercilessly pick apart my swing :)

CP

May 24, 2013
So Cal
You have no extensor action with your top hand to continue to pull your hands away while starting to turn the barrel. Notice the right arm in the pic and see how extensor action effects barrel turn and swing leveling. Without putting words in FFS' mouth, I believe this is what he is referring to as far as a seemless turning of the of the barrel.
Can you point out where this happens in a high-level swing pattern? I'm not connecting the dots on what "extensor action" means for hitting a softball/basball. What should I be feeling, in what part of my arm, and at what point in the pattern should I feel it?

I guess the other question is: Which one of my swings are you looking at - first or last? For the sake of a decent discussion, let's talk about the first swing only....
ECF040914_zps52114393.gif

The other one is too pathetic to warrant discussion.

(Thanks to RDB for the gif)

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2012
Sydney Australia
I could be wrong but I think it's the top hand pulling backwards (like drawing a bow) while you step forward that gives the look of your hands staying in place while the body moves forward.
And I think FFS is saying that if you start with full range of motion in the swing you can finish with full range easier because the motion is "complete".
Like I said though I could be wrong.
Credit has to go to you Eric for actually picking up a bat and having a swing.....nice one.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I could be wrong but I think it's the top hand pulling backwards (like drawing a bow) while you step forward that gives the look of your hands staying in place while the body moves forward.
And I think FFS is saying that if you start with full range of motion in the swing you can finish with full range easier because the motion is "complete".
Like I said though I could be wrong.
Credit has to go to you Eric for actually picking up a bat and having a swing.....nice one.

I'm seeing my hands go back ("rock the U") as I stride, and I feel the tension in my scap tighten. Using the knots on the fence behind me as landmarks, my hands are not moving forward on the stride.

Thanks. :)

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Can you point out where this happens in a high-level swing pattern? I'm not connecting the dots on what "extensor action" means for hitting a softball/basball. What should I be feeling, in what part of my arm, and at what point in the pattern should I feel it?

I guess the other question is: Which one of my swings are you looking at - first or last? For the sake of a decent discussion, let's talk about the first swing only....
ECF040914_zps52114393.gif

The other one is too pathetic to warrant discussion.

(Thanks to RDB for the gif)

I'm not a "tech" guy, but if I were I would slow this down, place a tracer on the end of the barrel, and then post it alongside the gif of King Albert that has the tracer on it. There is something about the barrel path that is bugging me. That said, my hat's off to you for giving it a shot. I spend as much time hitting off a tee as DD does because I want to "feel" what the DFPers are talking about.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
I'm going to assume you agree with the concept of continuing to load the upper half to\through toe touch\heel plant. If you don't I won't argue the point because IMO the purpose of this thread should be educational and a great chance for us to laugh at ourselves. Everyone can use a dose of humility now and again...

As a few others have noted:

If RDB or FFS et al could put a tracer on your barrel I think you would see your barrel path to look more "V's" than "C-ish" because you don't use extensor action to activate the humeral head to get to scap load all while you are turning the barrel\planing your swing...better explanation...if I could get my hands on you this would be much easier to demonstrate...the gif of Pujols in the netted cage is a good example (not sure what I did with my copy)

First one has some, the 2nd swing has none. The first one has some but there could be more. Oz is correct in very simple terms of saying it's the top hand pulling backwards like drawing a bow. If you were drawing your "bow" fully you would have far more "activation" of your humerus. Less activation of your humerus diminishes (doesn't eliminate) fully getting to scap load. This is a good diagram to show the interaction between the humeral head and scap. You feel scap load now...you could feel more if your extensor action was "fuller" and your "V" barrel path would become a "C" barrel path. Ironically, humeral activation was one of the topics of conversation this afternoon with JavaSource after my DD\another one of my pitcher's lesson.

Humeral-Head-Riding-Up.jpg

What is wrong with how you're doing it? Nothing...it's just not as optimal as it could be...

Go out to a field and throw a bat (helicopter style) as far you can "over 2nd base"...put that video side by side with this gif and I'm 90% certain you'll feel\see the difference...CP

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Eric,

Weather was nice Monday so we were more outside than in for practice...these are from tonight...using my 10U DD's 31/19.5 Easton...machine set at 44mph from 35'...way early on #2 but still hammered a line drive towards SS. Go easy on the old fat guy in your critique :)

[video=youtube_share;KVveDUa8g2I]http://youtu.be/KVveDUa8g2I[/video]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG