9yo swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 1, 2011
Alabama
I would love some insight. I know what i think is wrong.... everything. Yes she is mine. No really i think/hope we are on the right track but I cant see the forest for the trees right now and i would just like to keep her making steady progress. I would like some other eyes and ideas to help.

KGB 3-11-12.wmv - YouTube

Thanks.

May 13, 2008
I think you're being too hard on yourself. I think her lower half has a little work to do, but it isn't that far off. I'd have her load the stride leg by bringing the knee in a little, have her think about keeping the inside edge of the foot on the ground while she is just barely lifting the outside edge of the stride foot off of the ground enough to slide a piece of paper underneath. When she strides she need to make sure she isn't opening up prematurely. Again, stride to the inside edge of the stride foot.

As far as the upper half, the hands are too far back in her stance. She has no chance to build any momentum. Move her hands a little closer to her armpit in her stance and she can move them back as she strides forward to get a good "stretch". She is close to dragging now, and I think this will help.

Now, after making contact with the ball, she needs to hit "through" the ball. Show her what extension is by going slow motion and have her pointing her bat towards the pitcher. Both arms should be extended and the bat should be pointing towards the pitcher's head. Then she should be able to "finish" above the shoulders.

Jan 1, 2011
Alabama
Thanks tons. We have "fixed" lots of stuff and changed other stuff, and when it changes so much it is hard to figure out where to what need work now.

I get the last to paragraphs you wrote on the hand starting location and extension through the ball. I also agree that she steps out not straight toward the pitcher. Sorry but I got lost on the the loading and the stride to the inside of the stride foot.

again thanks for the help.

May 13, 2008
Look at this picture to see how this hitter is loading the stride leg prior to picking up her foot.

1z4ismw.jpg

Getting on the inside edge of the feet helps with balance. If you think about how to get in a good guarding position like in basketball, it is similar. You keep your weight on the inside edge of both feet so you can go in either direction; if you're leaning one way or the other that point guard will drive by you. Keeping your weight on the inside helps you stay balanced while you're coiling and striding during weight shift. It's called eversion, and you should feel most of the weight on the big toes and should be able to wiggle the pinky toes.

I'm going to be in Pell City area this week for work, if you're close enough I can show you some stuff in the evenings if you're close enough.

Jan 1, 2011
Alabama
Thanks for the Post (now i understand) and the offer to help. Would love to but are hosting 7-8 & 9-10 pre-season tournaments starting Tuesday, and I am the one man field crew. I would assume you give hitting instruction. In Pell City?

May 1, 2011
That bat looks like an Easton Stealth. I too have a 9 year old, and she's tried to swing the smallest Stealth there is, and she can barely get it around. Judging from the vid, my daughter is probably bigger than yours, and she's as strong as an ox. Just a thought. My DD is swinging a 17oz stick right now, and she's generating some pretty good bad speed. Heavier bats tear her mechanics apart. Like I said....just a thought.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877