Softball De-Commitments at NCSU?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 6, 2012
Within a week of NC State announcement of the LSU assistant hiring as their new head coach, I've seen a pair of NCSU commits announced "I'm re-opening my recruitment."
As a dad trying to learn how some of this works, it's odd.
Obviously has to do with the new hire, but I have a hard time imagining girls out there with a locked in D1 spot turning it down without getting to know the new hire.

I would think it sounds like she is coming in and refusing to honor the offers from previous staff. Since she's had a cake job at LSU where D1 female athletes seem to love to play, she's possibly full of herself & pulling a John Calipari?

Any insight as to how these changes are handled in softball? I just assumed it would be a little more above board than basketball & football

Nov 5, 2014
No information about what happened with Leftwich at NC State and these particular recruits but I can tell you that it is not uncommon for a new head coach to make it clear to a commit that they are looking to "go in a new direction" in the specific examples I know of it was never stated explicitly that they wouldn't honor the commitment but the coach's message was clear, don't come here cuz you won't play.

May 27, 2013
Obviously has to do with the new hire, but I have a hard time imagining girls out there with a locked in D1 spot turning it down without getting to know the new hire.

Were these players ones who had already signed their NLI? If not, they were never “locked in.”

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My friend's daughter plays with a girl who was committed there. They were nervous when the original coach got fired, but their travel coach told them to wait and see, and to not do anything rash.

Well, that didn't work out too well. They received an email the other day saying their verbal commitment was no longer valid, and that they should open up their recruitment again. Now she's an uncommitted 2024 again, and the family is not happy with the travel coach for telling them to wait and see.

I can't say I blame the new coach. Their job is on the line, and they didn't recruit these girls, so why should they have to honor a verbal? Now, if it was a signed girl, that's a different story.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
No information about what happened with Leftwich at NC State and these particular recruits but I can tell you that it is not uncommon for a new head coach to make it clear to a commit that they are looking to "go in a new direction" in the specific examples I know of it was never stated explicitly that they wouldn't honor the commitment but the coach's message was clear, don't come here cuz you won't play.
To quite Coach Prime , He's bringing the luggage. New coach will as well and will probably stock up through the transfer portal and the second string from LSU. It is sad.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414