9U DD pitching Video, Beginning our Journey

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2015
Yesterday, my DD (9 yr. old) and I worked on pitching for the first time this summer. We tinkered with pitching during the REC season, but didn’t get into it seriously since she was on a team with the best 10 year old pitcher in the league and she was making the adjustment to hitting kid pitch.

I took video before our session and after the session so we could see the improvements in our 30 minute session. Since she is 9, we did spend part of that session looking a fire ant bed and the pile of rubble from our remodeling job. In all we spent 20-25 minutes on the drills posted below.

The before video is on the right hand side, and was basically what she remembered from this spring. The after video is on the left hand side, and is our attempt at the 2-Step Drill (I already see things to correct in drill, but I try not to correct every little thing with a new skill).

After watching, feel free to comment.

https://www.coachseye.com/v/ekfB

1. Backward Chaining (10 reps)
2. Forward Chaining (10 reps)
3. Rock it Up (10 reps)
4. half drill (show it and throw it drill without a ball) (10 reps)
5. Lock it in Drill (with ball) (10 reps)
6. Catch the Whip (10 reps)
7. Magician Drill (10 reps)
8. "liberty" drill (10 reps)
9. show it and throw it drill (10 reps)
10. The 2-Step Drill (Drive Mechanics) (10 reps)

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I would simplify things a little and just do the play catch underhand drill for a bit. Many of these drills are troubleshooting drills and may or may not be needed for a specific kid. This all starts with just a good feeling of throwing a ball underhand using the correct mechanics.
You can see she is pushing the ball down the back of the circle in both clips, this has to be nipped in the bud now, you need to teach her to pull the ball down with a loose bent arm. That is literally all that matters right now. So get a tarp, hang it about 15 feet away and you and her can both throw into it with nice loose bent arms with a palm up or at a minimum facing third as the arm goes from 9 o clock to 6 o clock. This should be done with a nice upright posture and hopefully you will see that if her posture is upright then her arm naturally brushes her hip at release.

Once this is mastered from a slingshot type position or K type position than move on to a full arm circle to see if it stays intact.

If you have trouble with this type of motion, and by trouble I mean a she cant get this in a week or so then start the troubleshooting drills like the lock it in and unlock it, magician etc.

May 8, 2015
Thanks for taking a look and the advice. I like to simplify things, but it’s hard with so much info out there.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
just have her do this and post video of it...

35clq41.gif

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Note that when you do the above drill mentioned by JJ you need to start with the ball at the belt not at 9 o-clock. Starting at 9 is a common mistake, where starting at the belt will help promote the desired whipping motion.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014

Looks awesome. Much improved. If DD gets her free hand positioned correctly she'll be dangerous to the competition.

Ball Game

Banned
May 8, 2015
Yesterday, my DD (9 yr. old) and I worked on pitching for the first time this summer. We tinkered with pitching during the REC season, but didn’t get into it seriously since she was on a team with the best 10 year old pitcher in the league and she was making the adjustment to hitting kid pitch.

I took video before our session and after the session so we could see the improvements in our 30 minute session. Since she is 9, we did spend part of that session looking a fire ant bed and the pile of rubble from our remodeling job. In all we spent 20-25 minutes on the drills posted below.

The before video is on the right hand side, and was basically what she remembered from this spring. The after video is on the left hand side, and is our attempt at the 2-Step Drill (I already see things to correct in drill, but I try not to correct every little thing with a new skill).

https://www.coachseye.com/v/ekfB

1. Backward Chaining (10 reps)
2. Forward Chaining (10 reps)
3. Rock it Up (10 reps)
4. half drill (show it and throw it drill without a ball) (10 reps)
5. Lock it in Drill (with ball) (10 reps)
6. Catch the Whip (10 reps)
7. Magician Drill (10 reps)
8. "liberty" drill (10 reps)
9. show it and throw it drill (10 reps)
10. The 2-Step Drill (Drive Mechanics) (10 reps)

What is the catch the whip drill?

Mar 18, 2013
MN
ok she is adorable! JJ is right in that she just needs to feel the proper whip of the arm before any lower body work is added in. The cue that worked best for my dd was to feel like a rope was hooked on to the crook of her arm while holding the ball at 9:00, elbow bent, ball facing sky - then pull down on the "rope" as she "pulls" the elbow down very close to the body to release. She will have no choice but to internally rotate at this point. It's not easy at the beginning. They are used to being behind the ball and bowling it for a strike. We started out indoors throwing sock balls this way on the off season two years ago. Now she doesn't even have to think about it because its ingrained. Your dd is much younger, so it will probably happen much faster for you!

May 8, 2015
just have her do this and post video of it...

35clq41.gif

Does this look a little better. She can be a little stiff at times (hitting too), but she works hard to make corrections.

<iframe class='video_frame' scrolling='no' allowfullscreen='true' webkitallowfullscreen='true' mozallowfullscreen='true' style='border: 0;' src='https://www.coachseye.com/v/4IdC/e'></iframe>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild