9 yr old pitcher - advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
I thought I was going to get to page 5 and not have anybody address HE. Apparently, that was addressed. I notice her two feet dont both start in contact with the mound. But overall, much improved.

Aug 1, 2014
I'd like to ask for clarification on a couple of things. I have these vids in slomo so I can look a little more closely than shown here. Wish I had a good gif creator for my iPhone.
I think that she certainly needs to work on getting more whip but I don't think her hand is completely behind there ball.
786e4bb1926b304c627e68c87420650b.jpg
cf53e9ba7b10cfd27157fc992bd4659e.jpg
1a4cadf0ff233aea7bb0266f7203d558.jpg
8b7560f5827787d0ca1ed14ead8ad491.jpg

My question is - how much whip
Is enough at 10u and how can I get more?

Secondly, I don't see the HE. Can you clarify?
Thank you all for your comments. Can't wait to get a little of your expertise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Go back and watch the side vid you recently posted. Does she:

1) Have the palm facing the catcher at 12?
2) Have palm up at 9?
3) lead with the pinky into release (8 on)?
4) finish with palm-down?

I'd answer no on each one of these. When you can ABSOLUTELY answer yes... no sorta or maybe's.... she'll have more whip.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014

To me, the first video (see attachment) looks like DD finished with a curled wrist and just short of a full "hello elbow". Admittedly, she seems to stop her arm short, but all the characteristics of HE seem to be there. On the subsequent updated video, I did not see this, so as stated, much improved. There's a lot of form issues going on here (spread legs, weight forward, HE finish, bend (aiming?) ) but these seem to have been addressed. The arm should be long and weight back with legs together.

Hope this helps. Perhaps I should only have commented on the most recent videos. Sorry for the confusion.He2.jpg

Last edited:

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
So, here's my comment on the newer video.

Compare the above shot to the updated one. Weight back, legs coming together, arm whip, no curled wrist/hello elbow. She's definitely been working! Any reason she brings her free hand down to her waist at the end? If she punches out with it and keeps it up she'll be in a better finish position.

Attachments

• much improved.jpg
    much improved.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I'd like to ask for clarification on a couple of things. I have these vids in slomo so I can look a little more closely than shown here. Wish I had a good gif creator for my iPhone.
I think that she certainly needs to work on getting more whip but I don't think her hand is completely behind there ball.
786e4bb1926b304c627e68c87420650b.jpg
cf53e9ba7b10cfd27157fc992bd4659e.jpg
1a4cadf0ff233aea7bb0266f7203d558.jpg
8b7560f5827787d0ca1ed14ead8ad491.jpg

My question is - how much whip
Is enough at 10u and how can I get more?

Thank you all for your comments. Can't wait to get a little of your expertise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is another 10U pitcher for you to compare to. This is the first time I tried to edit and upload directly from my new IPHONE so I hope it come out in a way you can pause and slow down to see hand positions at the various spots in the circle.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
thanks... Her rec season ends in two weeks and then she gets the Java treatment on the lower half since she doesn't pitch for her TB team.....yet (hehe)...and can afford to go into teardown mode for a couple of months while she fixes the drive and leap.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Her timing is really good... really like what centering does for her rhythm. Only 2 issues I see are:

1) she's not leaving it all out there. Have her try a walkthrough with a singular focus: how far can you push from the plate? Mark the spot... and then have her work on her regular pitch... trying to match that on every pitch. Have her start with 100% effort... and then press her to get to 120% effort... and maintain it.

2) this might sound odd... but I don't see the leap - for her, that is - anything more than a focus... or conscious effort to drag the toe. Paper drill might work well for her.

You've really done a superb job with her JJ. Fundamentally speaking.... she's way above the majority of kids her age.... like miles ahead. Take those fundamentals and juice them up.

Also... you can tell she has some swagger. Bright future for this kid.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Apologies for the drive-by post. I'll try to check back in and take a better look later. A suggestion was made to get the palm down at release. Palm down is great but I don't think it should be as much of a focus as it is a result. Her arm appears to be locked. Loosen up the arm, especially from the elbow down. Pull the lower arm/ball around the circle with a focus on being loose. A loose whip results in a palm-downish position. Don't force palm down--allow it.

I'd suggest she continue to use her glove side effectively by pulling it down into release. Leaving it up is not an "adder."

Ken

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish