8u coach to win or have fun

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 17, 2015
Chesapeake, VA
I coach to make sure the girls have a good time and return. Last fall was my first 8U season and 7 of 10 returned. We didn't any games but were competitive in most games. The Spring season is considered more "serious" by many. I would like to win a game this season. But if it doesn't happen, oh well. I introduced helmet stickers last night and the girls seemed excited. They will be earned only during games.

Nov 18, 2013
Our version of 8U softball is coach pitch, bat full roster each inning. One base at a time and the last batter ran all the way home. They didn’t keep score or even track outs. Every kid fielded each inning and at times you’d have three SS’s, six 2B/s and one OF. I’m not one who believes in participation trophies or “everybody wins”, but 8U is too early to call it competitive or travel. Gold is fine, that’s pretty meaningless at any age.

Nov 2, 2015
This is my first year coaching 8U (we're Little League, so it's actually "Rookies"), but I plan on playing my girls as mentioned above.
Every girl will have a chance to lead-off, play pitcher, all will sit the same amount of innings, etc.
I do plan on varying from that plan slightly, though when it comes to 2 positions: 1st base, and catcher.
Catcher, because I have several girls that have no business being behind the plate with a machine humming 40mph balls at them!
1st base, because I've noticed that the girls know which girls can catch, which cannot, and which are afraid of the ball, and they throw it accordingly. I don't want my girls hesitating, or taking anything off the ball when throwing to 1st.

Jun 12, 2015
8U around here is mostly coach pitch. When we were in rec the only reason any girl didn't get a shot at infield every game was if she couldn't pay attention enough to be safe. You couldn't play a girl at pitcher who was playing in the dirt, it's too dangerous. But otherwise, everybody got a chance, everybody hit equally, etc. It was a little different in 8U travel, with the positions being a little more set. But our coach still gave the girls a chance at any position they wanted to try and always batted the whole roster. Coaches who are set on winning at 8U or 10U or even 12U are doing nothing but damage to their players IMO.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
At 8U rec (boys and girls), my record is something like 100-5. I did lineups by whoever got to the park first, and then by shoe size. We had coach pitch.

How do I win? Fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals. The more groundballs and popups the kids take at practice, the more you win. By the end of the year, my outfielders were catching some fly balls.

a) The only critical position is 1B. You want a kid who will catch the ball at 1B. That is the only position where I was selective.
b) Teach them the way to get the force out at 2B and 3B.
c) Teach them how to backup.
d) Teach them how to throw for accuracy. You do this by having them throw at a target *NOT* to a person. (Psychology: If they throw to a person, they think if the other person catches the ball, then it it a good throw. So, teach them to throw to a specific location. You can come up with a lot of fun games.)
e) teach them how to throw for distance. Have them lineup and see who can throw the farthest. Then, have them run to the ball and see who threw the ball farthest. Rinse and repeat. Stupid game? Yep. Will the kids do this forever? Yep. One of the oddities of boys vs. girls is that boys will do this without any prodding. They will immediately find out who has the strongest arm. Girls won't unless you make them...but, they are just as competitive as the boys and will start studying the kids who throw the ball farthest. It is amazing how quickly their arm strength improves.
f) Make practices fun.
g) If you want the kids to hustle, *YOU* have to hustle.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2015
illinois
yeah I find it hard that 8yr olds care that much about winning. Teach them the game! Give them the skills! Make lots of friends! Have lots of fun!

8U is way to early to worry about winning.

^this!! Teach them the fundamentals of throwing, hitting, running bases. Teach them to do things correctly. Certainly at 8U the game should be fun for everyone involved too. The trick is balancing teaching, and letting them have fun. Hard to do sometimes. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors