8U Coach Pitch Softball hitting drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
Thank you all for the input.. Anyone else have any drills kind of like "Last Girl Standing" that they'd like to share?

A modified version of "Over the Line"

Two teams. Only use half the field (for example left side of infield and centerfield to the left field foul pole. On defense, have a 3rd baseman and SS, and 2 or 3 outfielders. Coach pitches to batter who gets three pitches and the batter has to get a base hit out of the infield or a fly ball / line drive not caught by outfield. They get a base hit and imaginary baserunner. Any hits not in fair territory is a strike and 3rd foul is an out. Teams try to score runs before three outs. Then switch, offense becomes defense.

Feb 24, 2016
We play "hustle ball". I can't remember the exact name of the ball but its a 12" softball that is almost impossible to hit far, but throws normally. The idea is the batter hits the ball fair, the ball must be fielded and thrown to first, then second, third and home before the runner gets home. Bases must be tagged. After each at bat, the hitter goes to right field, the center, left, third, second, etc... the girls love it.

Feb 10, 2015
I wonder where I can find a ball like that.. That would be good for conditioning in 8U too because I have a feeling that there'd be a lot of over and under thrown balls and a lot of running lol.

May 31, 2009
Hello,

Softball season is once again almost upon us. I was looking for some insight on some hitting drills for my 8U Softball Girls. The beginning of last season they were hitting very well, but toward the end of the season they're hitting suffered, for what reason I haven't a clue. I would really appreciate some advice on any hitting drills that would keep it fun and interesting, but also teach them the skills needed for the next level. I have confidence in this forum for the simple fact they were excellent on defense because of the drills and techniques I've found on this site. Thank you in advance for any assistance in this matter.

You might want to try this battery operated soft toss machine for batting practice. New Ultimate Ball Toss Machine Baseball Softball Soft Toss Hitting Aid | eBay Set it out in front of the girls to soft toss to them. Ball just comes in at a soft toss speed. Girls wont be afraid of getting hit with the ball and it will help develop their hand-eye coordination and confidence again.

Feb 10, 2015
I appreciate you trying to sell me a machine, but we already have a soft toss machine... My assistant coach lol. I'm looking for games to play at the end of practice to keep them competitive, make them better, all while having fun at the same time.
You might want to try this battery operated soft toss machine for batting practice. New Ultimate Ball Toss Machine Baseball Softball Soft Toss Hitting Aid | eBay Set it out in front of the girls to soft toss to them. Ball just comes in at a soft toss speed. Girls wont be afraid of getting hit with the ball and it will help develop their hand-eye coordination and confidence again.

Mar 6, 2016
Drills to try

I've been coaching 8U for the past 4 years (2 daughters x 2 seasons each) and I know exactly what you mean when you definitely need a lot of "go to" drills/fun things to do at that age. I've also been a coach of various sports from 6U to College aged for 25+ yrs. It's amazing how similar they really are in terms of wanting to have "fun" things to do.

Here are a couple I like and the girls love....except when they don't "win".

Offense:
1) Similar to the "Last Girl Standing", we call it "Survivor". You can do this as a team or in two groups vs each other.
Coach pitch- First Round: Hitter just needs to get a piece of the ball. When they are 6,7 and 8 yrs old...just touching the ball for some is a positive.Misses? She's out for the round.
2nd Round: Ball has to be hit fair. 3rd Round: Ball must be hit to oufield. 4th Round: Ball must be pulled to left of pitcher.
**You could use this for bunting too. We do to teach placement.

2) We call it "Rack em". Two teams. Each hit counts as a point for that team. Each girl/hitter keeps hitting until she misses or doesn't fulfill criteria of round. So, a girl could rack up a lot of points for her team by getting on a good run of hits. Once one girl from a team misses or doesn't get a good hit, the other team's next player is up. The teams alternate hitter by hitter. The criteria can vary based on age group. Older Groups= Pop ups and poorly hit balls are "outs". I've had many times when one team is up by 10-15 points and the other team is down to it's last hitter and she goes a run of hits to catch the other team. I usually stop and pause to make it more dramatic before I pitch the last pitch that may win the game. Adds excitement, pressure and the girls are all cheering or yelling. Very game like in terms of pressure for hitter.

Again, could do the same drill with bunting.

Defense:
1) Really fun for younger girls. No real name for ours. The girls are at SS and 3B and we have a net or coach on a bucket at 1B. We hit or roll grounders to each line and they field and throw in good form to 1B. If they make a good throw to the coach or it goes into the net it counts as a "push-up" that all coaches have to do at the end of practice. First round: Just needs to get into the net somehow or get to the coach on a bounce. No rollers. 2nd Round: Must be in the air.

They keep count and the coaches then do the push ups. Sometimes with th younger grils we may only have 10-15. Sometimes we have over 30. The girls love it that they get to make the coach do pushups, but it is working on their throws from across the diamond which is difficult for them.

2) "BattleBall" : Sort of like OTL. Two teams. Use a tee. One hits, one is in the field in 1 or 2 lines across the infield fringe. Think the way armies used to battle in "formations". The hitting team must hit it over or through the defensive team. Based on where it's hit and how it gets through determines the point value. The Defense records 3 outs, they get to switch and go hit. Usually 3 rounds back and forth. It teaches girls to be aggressive and move to stop balls and often times start actually diving for balls to stop it from getting through the line of D.

Just a few we like... there are tons. Just keep the practices moving and don't do the same things every practice.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd