3rd out runs scores

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2011
Bases loaded , two outs, ball hit to third basemen, third basemen tagged runner coming to third after the runner going home has touched the plate. Does the run score? The runner was forced to run so some have told me it is a forced out and the run does not score, but since the runner was tagged I have also been told it was a tag out and the run scores.

Jun 22, 2008
The run does not score if the 3rd out of an inning is a result of a force out. Since the bases were loaded and the runner was being forced to 3rd, even though she was tagged, it is the same result the base being touched for the force, run does not score.

Jun 3, 2011
The definition for forced out is touching a base. The definition for tagged out is touching a runner. How can you have a forced out if you tagged the runner out?

May 25, 2010
Bases loaded , two outs, ball hit to third basemen, third basemen tagged runner coming to third after the runner going home has touched the plate. Does the run score? The runner was forced to run so some have told me it is a forced out and the run does not score, but since the runner was tagged I have also been told it was a tag out and the run scores.

With 2 outs, if the batter hit safely, but was then tagged out on the way to 2B or 3B, then all runs which crossed the plate before the tag would count.

Oct 25, 2009
Radar97, the runner was forced to run to the base. If the runner was tagged during that force the runner is still out by force. So the run does not count.

Jun 22, 2010
The definition for forced out is touching a base. The definition for tagged out is touching a runner. How can you have a forced out if you tagged the runner out?
Lots of people think that, because of the way TV announcers talk and such, but it's not right. The definition of a force play is:
A force play is a play in which a runner (or two or three runners)
loses the right to the base occupied and is forced to advance because the batter
becomes a batter-runner.

That's from the high school book, but all rule sets are the same. Anytime a runner is forced to advance, it's a force play, and if the third out is made on a force play, no run can score. It so happens that you can get an out on a force play by touching the base, but that's not the only way you can make an out on a force play.

And to clarify, if the runner advances beyond the next base, she's not forced any more, so as SocSoftDad said, those types of plays are NOT force plays.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021
My DD team has had multiple games/inning come to an end with multiple runners on base and a batted ground ball.
Unfortunately multiple umps have had different and disappointing rulings.

A) 2 outs and bases loaded. 2 ump crew. 2nd inning. Slow rolling ground ball to SS and a slow batter/runner. Throw was made to make the out at first. It was one of those slow motion plays. Meanwhile runner on 3rd crossed home and runner from 2nd got to home at the time of the out. Plate ump counted one run scored.

B) Tie game, time expired, home team at bat. 2 outs and bases loaded. 2 ump crew.
Batter hits fly ball just over 2nd base. CF gets ball on one hop and throws to SS on 2nd beating the runner. Runner on 3rd crossed home plate. Field ump was obviously focused on the 3rd base runner and the possible game ending run. Totally missed the 3rd out and everything else happening on the field. When questioned on the out come of the "PLAY" she gave no answer and walked off with the plate ump. Guess they were ok with missing the out and counting a walk-off run.

Last edited:
May 27, 2022
NFHS, 2018 Rules Book

Section 38 Out, Force out, Tag Out, Putout

Art. 2... Force Out. A force out is a putout during which an offensive player who is being forced to advance is tagged out, or is put out by a fielder who holds the ball while touching the base toward which the forced runner is advancing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC