3rd base training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
I would not work on sidearm unless her overhand is flawless. I have a great 3b and dd is back up 3b, starting catcher. My
starting 3rd has a howitzer! Dd is getting there. Both have to be reminded a lot to not stand up. Neither throw sidearm or
do I even suggest it yet.
A
That will make it easier then. My DD has a strong arm, and when she did play third at 12u her coach told her to take her time because she threw so hard there was no need to rush. I know now at second year 14u she'll have some speedsters, so we'll work on getting her footwork right with quicker throws. Maybe I'll see if she can throw me out running to 1st from the left and get some exercise while I'm at it. I'll set up a target for her and have some fun.

Dec 17, 2012
my input might not be valid to this discussion because i'm a male softballer from New Zealand (Softball is bigger than baseball in New Zealand) but i reckon it's essential to have a side arm, A) it's a quick release throw which is essential for covering the bunt and B) it means you can keep low for the throw. Getting use to the hard grounders is probably the most essential part, not point being able to field bunts or quick throwing if you can't field the harder ground balls, staying down is key for that.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Not sure what level ball your DD is playing, but having a 3rd base with quick reflexes and a strong/accurate arm is important. She also needs to be 'fearless' and aggressive in charging bunts. Most teams will play their 3B inside the bag to take away 'small ball', so I would encourage your DD to get used to wearing a mask! She also needs to learn how to take throws at the base without getting called for interference.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
I have a question as it relates to the transition from receiving the ball to separation of hand and glove for release. I have always taught my girls to field the ball(receive),suck it into the mid section 2 handed, bring both hands up to chest level and separate for the throw. My DD's high school coach(ex-D1 player,pitcher) is teaching the girls.. field the ball, bring both hands up to chin level or just below chin level, then separating for the throw. Coach says it is a quicker way to make the transtion and get rid of the ball. I haven't talked to the coach directly yet so this is all coming from DD. Does anyone teach this process out there?
Not trying to hijack your thread, but this may be relevant to what you are working on as it may teach a faster move. TR

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
I have a question as it relates to the transition from receiving the ball to separation of hand and glove for release. I have always taught my girls to field the ball(receive),suck it into the mid section 2 handed, bring both hands up to chest level and separate for the throw. My DD's high school coach(ex-D1 player,pitcher) is teaching the girls.. field the ball, bring both hands up to chin level or just below chin level, then separating for the throw. Coach says it is a quicker way to make the transtion and get rid of the ball. I haven't talked to the coach directly yet so this is all coming from DD. Does anyone teach this process out there?
Not trying to hijack your thread, but this may be relevant to what you are working on as it may teach a faster move. TR

I'm pretty sure my DD is being told to bring it up like your daughter is saying.

Oct 10, 2011
Not sure what level ball your DD is playing, but having a 3rd base with quick reflexes and a strong/accurate arm is important. She also needs to be 'fearless' and aggressive in charging bunts. Most teams will play their 3B inside the bag to take away 'small ball', so I would encourage your DD to get used to wearing a mask! She also needs to learn how to take throws at the base without getting called for interference.

She just moved up to 16u A but has only played 2 games at 3rd in the last year as the former coaches DD owned that position and he rarely practiced my DD there , so she has her work cut out for her. She definitely will continue to wear the mask!

mike s

Pitcher's Dad
Jul 18, 2011
Northern IL
You mentioned she has trouble getting low. I have noticed with many girls they have their feet too close together which does not allow them to get low without bending over. My first clue is when I see their face looking straight down or the neck is really bent to keep the face forward. Good wide stance, low hips, straight back and face forward. Hope this helps and good luck to your dd. JMHO

R

RayR

Sounds wrong to me....bringing both hands up to the chin before breaking hands seems like it would encourage the player to stand up too quick and kill whatever footwork is needed for that particular play...

Staying low requires really good footwork....which starts before the ball is even fielded...

Apr 17, 2012
If anyone is fielding a grounder, inside of their body, and not taking the ball out of the glove until their chest or head, they are entirely too slow. For a true grounder that rolls into the glove directly from the ground, I want the ball out of their glove by the time their hands are belly button high. Players with really fast hands can have the ball out of their glove by the time it is at thigh level.

Players that leave the ball in their glove to the chest/head area have rhythm problems and/or grip problems. I see more people have fast feet, than fast hands. So their feet are in good position to throw, but they still have the ball in their glove, which is a rhythm problem. We work a lot on getting a good grip on the ball during our partner drills, which helps speed up a player's hands to, hopefully, match their feet. Which all leads to a good throw, a completely seperate thing to get working properly.

I prefer to a sidearm throw for 3rd baseman, it is faster and helps them stay low and move through the throw. But only if we have enough time to work on that throw before placing them into a game. Sidearm is something that needs practice seperately from a regular overhand throw. Sidearm becomes more important on short gamers, slappers and bunts, than on other plays. Unfortunately most people don't throw sidearm correctly so they are rather inconsistant, plus they don't practice it enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG