3B or 2B

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Second better be darned quick left to right.
Third better be a bull-dog who is not afraid of anything, who definitely watches the hands of the batter (for a bunt) and charges when she should.

Yep. At 3B, I like someone who is fast forward and back, but can live with less lateral agility. At 2B, lateral speed and game smarts are more critical.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Used to think that you should put your weakest player at 2nd. "The game" has a magical way of directing EVERY hard hit ball into players zone when you attempt that theory.
Both position need to be quality players.

If a team has good pitching 2B will field more ground balls than SS over the course of the season. A 2B with good range is worth their weight in gold!

Dec 19, 2012
Every position on the field is important but requires slightly different skill sets. As mentioned above, 3B needs to be a bulldog; able to charge hard and have a good arm, glove, and reflexes. A 2B needs to be smart and agile, able to move in many directions well and have a good arm. As far as importance ranking, I'd say the 3B has the slight edge over 2B in the fastpitch softball universe.

Aug 24, 2011
These two positions need to be filled on high school team. Which do you think is the most important and why? Thanks.

This is really a tough call. If you have players of equal ability I'd probably favor third but I honestly feel like that I can hide a girl a little bit better at third than second if the third baseman is at least tough. I'm definitely putting the smarter girl at second. I think second is more demanding mentally than third. If my third baseman isn't as talented I at least need her to play goalie and try to knock down balls. If it's not really high level softball I want the stronger player at softball because you just can't give up outs on balls hit to the right side.

Nov 8, 2014
IMO - from 10U and up - 3B is typically my best player. Strongest arm, best glove for the shots down the line, best legs for covering all bloops in foul territory, best glove and brain for steals of third, best IQ when playing the grounder when a runner is on 2B and they need to check the runner and either hold 'em and get the out or fake the throw to 1B and catch 'em cheating. I use 3B on relays to the plate from left and they need to cover bunts. 3B is way more important than 2B. 2B requires less arm and really only needs to cover 1B on bunts and tweeners.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
IMO - from 10U and up - 3B is typically my best player. Strongest arm, best glove for the shots down the line, best legs for covering all bloops in foul territory, best glove and brain for steals of third, best IQ when playing the grounder when a runner is on 2B and they need to check the runner and either hold 'em and get the out or fake the throw to 1B and catch 'em cheating. I use 3B on relays to the plate from left and they need to cover bunts. 3B is way more important than 2B. 2B requires less arm and really only needs to cover 1B on bunts and tweeners.

Both positions are important, but I'm not sure what kind of games you're watching if you believe 2B only covers 1st on bunts and tweeters. 2B moves on every single play. Typically will cover 1st on bunts and tweeters, yes, but 2B coverage is different depending on plays called, how many runners are on and where, etc. A good 2B is one of the most softball savvy players on the field. Totally different skill sets, but I've seen many 2B that are able to play 3B if needed, very few 3B that can play 2B.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

I will agree on the "less arm" part, but not the rest. That said, having a good arm at 2B can be very helpful. While playing 2B, My 10yo DD has thrown out runners at 3B and home from the right-side outfield grass on throws that are every bit as long, or longer, than a 3B makes to 1B. Based on your post, it sounds to me like you're not getting your 2B involved enough. 2B always has a job to do.

Nov 8, 2014
I agree, my quote on 2b only needing to cover first on bunts and tweeners is a little simplistic. They do something on nearly every play and the need to make strong throws to third from RF and home on plays from RCF is very important as well. But I want the arm strength and glove work for the hot corner and speed and quick feet at 3B to field bloops in foul territory and steal grounders in front of SS. Being able to negate aggressive small ball with an animal at 3B is more important to me than a second baseman fielding balls up the gut or in the hole. Those balls fielded up the middle typically do not result in outs at first like al the balls the 3B can get to.

Apr 1, 2010
I think that the real difference between the two is arm strength. Your third baseman has to have a heck of an arm to make that throw to first. I think that is why you see a lot of catchers there as their secondary position. Third baseman have to also have quick reflexes and nerves of steel as they charge a bunt and still get that throw off. In younger ages you used to be able to put your weakest infielder at 2nd but once you get to 12U and above you need a fast, quality player there. They need to be able to charge the balls hit there, cover 2nd for a catcher throw down and have the aggressiveness to put down that tag. So IMO neither is more important but need some different qualities in a player for each position...

Yes, that's my thinking too. Both positions are important, but the question of which to fill first is basically a moot point. The skill sets are different. A fearless girl with a big arm (who doesn't need a ton of lateral speed) goes to third. A quick girl with great fielding range (who doesn't need a big arm) goes to second.

If you happen to have a girl who is skilled enough to play either third or second, she's probably your shortstop. ;-) If she is a stud, but you already have a better shortstop, then...look at your backup choices for third and second, play the strongest backup in the position best suited for her and put the stud in the other spot?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez