3B or 2B

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
For my 10u team, I have one of the stronger players with a good arm at 3rd. 2nd base is also a very strong player. I actually put a weaker player at short because most of the time 3rd will be cutting off the ball hit to short and short will be acting as a backup. This all of course depends on runner positions. I have my 3rd play very aggressive.

By a weaker player, I mean that if I have 3 kids, strongest arm with best glove to 3rd, slightly weaker fielding and glove to 2nd, good arm but weaker fielding (then the first 2) to short stop. Not saying weakest on the team.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
On my DD's 10U team, we have pretty fast pitching, and get a lot of ground balls on the right side. Because of this, we put one of our best fielders (strong glove and good range) at 2B. The idea is that every ground ball to the right side should be a sure out. We've seen quite a few teams who "hide" their weakest fielder at 2B. It usually ends up costing them runs.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I know it is not really the OP but I am convinced if you put a weak player in the parking lot the other Team will hit ½ the balls over the fence to them. For some reason a weak player is a ball magnet, you just need to work with them the best you can. You cannot hide them.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I know it is not really the OP but I am convinced if you put a weak player in the parking lot the other Team will hit ½ the balls over the fence to them. For some reason a weak player is a ball magnet, you just need to work with them the best you can. You cannot hide them.

This made me laugh at the reality it expresses. I have kept my weakest in the dugout until the bottom of the opposing team's lineup, and as soon as they hit the field, the awful hitters start hitting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez