3B Coverage on a Bunt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
The short-stop would be cheating roughly 5 feet toward 2B to protect against the steal. She would have to have the discipline to stay put until the ball is actually bunted down before breaking to cover 3B. Even holding her position until the ball is bunted down, she has plenty of time to sprint over and set up to cover 3B before the runner from 1B gets there. Besides, the center fielder is sprinting in to cover 2B.

Aug 9, 2013
The other option taught is that the catcher once they cannot play the bunt to sprint to 3B to play 3B. It does leave the plate open but the pitcher can come down and cover. I was a former catcher and by job on a bunt if the 3B fielded was to get my butt to third base.

Mar 26, 2013
I've come to believe that getting the out at 2B in this particular situation is most often fool's gold--much, much lower odds than getting the out at 1B. It is because of this that having the short-stop cover 3B and center fielder cover 2B (just to keep the runner advancing to 2B humble) is now more appealing to me. Looks like I'm not alone in this assessment....
The author, Jim Moyer, said in that 2008 article he'd cover it by age at a later date, but I can't find where he has - including on his website mysoftballcoach.com. Age alone is too simplistic - I think you have to consider the level of the players because there are exceptional younger players that are more capable to execute advanced plays than a lot of mediocre older players.

I agree with a lot of what Jim wrote in another article about being selective going after the lead runner - The Great Lead Runner Myth. Unless forced to go after the game-winning run with less than 2 outs, failing to get an out while going after the lead runner is so much worse than getting the routine out at 1B that fielders should only attempt to get the lead runner if they have a very high probability of success (90+%).

Getting the lead runner at 2B on a good bunt rarely happens - it's generally with a bunt that is too firm and/or the fielder has crashed in very aggressively. It's harder to get a runner on a bunt than a straight steal. Besides waiting until the bunt is laid down, a good SS can also recognize right away whether they have a shot at 2B or not.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
You won't get the runner at 2nd 90% of the time, but I wouldn't use the excuse the pitcher forgot or 3B forgot... Practice that play, then practice it more. The reason is two-fold like was said earlier fake bunt a steal, your giving that base up, secondly if the SS is covering 2nd you have a good chance of throwing behind the runner after getting the out at 1st. Every year we get 2-3 outs this way.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I would fake a bunt and have the runner steal steal second.

Earlier, I said, "The short-stop would be cheating roughly 5 feet toward 2B to protect against the steal." That is, even with the short-stop covering third approach, she could set up cheating 4-5 feet toward 2B to protect against the steal. If the ball isn't bunted down, she easily covers 2B. If the ball is bunted down, she can easily get over and cover 3B due to the fact that the runner will have to run two bases less her aggressive lead-off. The CF can move in to keep the runner humbled just as easily as the left fielder can at 3B.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
SoCal_Dad

You said, "Getting the lead runner at 2B on a good bunt rarely happens - it's generally with a bunt that is too firm and/or the fielder has crashed in very aggressively. It's harder to get a runner on a bunt than a straight steal. Besides waiting until the bunt is laid down, a good SS can also recognize right away whether they have a shot at 2B or not."

This is a great point. I'm still not completely convinced that I'll have the SS cover 3B, but I'm leaning that way. The key is whether or not it's too complicated for the SS. She's cheating toward 2B to protect/cover 2B on a steal or a bunt that is fielded very quickly. She's covering 3B if the bunt is a good bunt and the throw will definitely be going to 1B. I see this as the best if the short-stop can react/decide very quickly. If she can't, she got to cover 2B whether it's a steal, good bunt, or a bunt that is quickly fielded, to make it simple.

I'll say this... I would much rather have the short-stop cover 3B than the third-baseman or pitcher hustling back or even the left-fielder hustling in.

Apr 14, 2011
Our team has the catcher cover 3rd...something that my catcher DD is certainly not used to! The corners and pitcher have all crashed, so there would definitely be more than enough players to cover home...left field does not cover 3rd...they are still kept in a backup position in the event of an overthrow.

Jun 1, 2013
Follow the ball
Bunt down third base pulls short to third and CF covers 2nd.
Bunt down first base or to pitcher ss covers 2nd and 3rd retreats to base.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
SoCal_Dad

You said, "Getting the lead runner at 2B on a good bunt rarely happens - it's generally with a bunt that is too firm and/or the fielder has crashed in very aggressively. It's harder to get a runner on a bunt than a straight steal. Besides waiting until the bunt is laid down, a good SS can also recognize right away whether they have a shot at 2B or not."

This is a great point. I'm still not completely convinced that I'll have the SS cover 3B, but I'm leaning that way. The key is whether or not it's too complicated for the SS. She's cheating toward 2B to protect/cover 2B on a steal or a bunt that is fielded very quickly. She's covering 3B if the bunt is a good bunt and the throw will definitely be going to 1B. I see this as the best if the short-stop can react/decide very quickly. If she can't, she got to cover 2B whether it's a steal, good bunt, or a bunt that is quickly fielded, to make it simple.

I'll say this... I would much rather have the short-stop cover 3B than the third-baseman or pitcher hustling back or even the left-fielder hustling in.

Why? There is not a runner in the world that can take 3rd, unless a blown coverage. Just would like to hear your reasoning.

Think about this, when you have so many different variables (SS covers 2nd only when this, SS covers 3rd when this, When this happens the SS must decide this). I'm simple, SS covers 2nd on all bunts. The only ones that have to decide is P/3B and that is easy too. If 3B fields bunt P covers 3, anyone else 3B gets back. Since we have done this, there have been 0 attempts for the lead runner to advance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207