2nd Scrimmage... Already had a parent complain

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2012
We had our 2nd scrimmage Friday. We won our 1st scrimmage 2-1 and the girls looked good. Played a decent complete game. The 2nd scrimmage, not so much, we lost 12-1 and we out of it by the 3rd inning. OT hit 2 or 3 one-hoppers to a 200' fence. This is LL BTW, 12-13 yr olds. Most teams have 4-5 TB girls on them.

Two parts to this rant....

2nd scrimmage only had 9 girls out of 12 due to holiday weekend. The 3 girls missing were my "leaders". Girls that arent that much better in ability but just not afraid or usually the girls to do something to spark the team. I could tell the remaining girls were a little nervous but I gave them the talk that everyone is going to play and this is their chance to prove they "belong". Well by the bottom of the 1st, they were looking at each other as to who was gonna do something. We were mercy ruled but continued because its only a scrimmage. Afterwards, they acted like nothing was wrong... I just dont get it...

2nd Part... After the scrimmage, I get a call from 1 parent wondering why their daughter only played 2 innings in the infield??? I didnt really appreciate the call considering we just got our teeth kicked in. This girl is 13 yrs old but this is only her 2nd year playing. Great straight line speed, runs track and CC but poor eye hand coordination. She is a great kid thats always at practice and tries hard. She gets reps IF and OF but just cant get it when it comes to fielding... grounders especially... So... I explained to the parent that the most important position in this past game was LF. That balls will be hit there and OF is just as important as IF. There were 7 balls hit there and she let most roll past her... I didnt fault her for that... I just told her we have to work on it. We always work OF and IF at practice and all the girls catch fly balls. So after I explained this.... The parent asked if his daughter could play more IF... I just said we will see what we can do but I wont sacrifice the team to make 1 girl happy.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
This is why I never scrimmage. Well, I did in LL but it turns out like your experience did. It was Easter weekend, so didn't the other team have people gone also? The girls aren't going to care about the score. It wasn't a game. Heck, they might not care about a games score, either. It just isn't about winning for them.

Now, about the parent call, already. I understand that you were right. If she can't field a ball, she could be in danger in the IF. Did you have a parent meeting and explain everything? If not, do it now. That way you can tell parents that it is their job to practice with their DD, too.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I would not read too much into the scrimmage game, the Team/ game can fall apart pretty quickly sometimes. As a Manager a lot of times I put my team in a hard position to win by providing players different opportunities/ getting players circle time/ etc. I have gone into a scrimmage wanting to win but not very often, I usually only care about individual performances.

It sounds like you are in a rec. league, so is my 11 YO DD. I expect her, and all the players, to get more or less equal playing time between IF and OF. There are 6 IF positions and 3 OF so that should not be too hard to do. I know it can be. Maybe the parent jumped the gun a little bit and approached the situation wrong. Where did the player play in the 1st scrimmage game?

Like Amy mentioned if you haven’t already have a Parent meeting explain how you are going to approach the season and games. Also explain the proper time and method for the parents to communicate concerns, they will have them.

Jun 26, 2012
thanks for the advice. I will have a parent meeting just to confirm my approach. I dont care much about winning, especially in a scrimmage. I always tell my girls that its not about winning or losing but competeting, about caring and working hard and wins will come naturally... Its not the score that matters really. It was the effort

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan