1st showcase tourny this weekend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
We try to keep a list of the coaches that watch our games, we also have a parent keep a list. That way the players can send a follow-up email to those specific coaches.

We had four pitching changes in one game, because a couple of coaches came to watch particular pitchers. ;)

Sometimes the umpires are also working on their game too. Past weekend, the umpires were working on their three-man mechanics and had other umpires critiquing their game mechanics, etc.

Nov 3, 2012
My 14U DD played her 1st two PGF showcases in the last month. One showcase had about 20 midwestern D1 coaches in attendance. These were 14u-18U showcases. What I noticed was that the coaches really were more interested in the 16u and 18U games. Of all the games we played, I only saw coaches twice at our games. In both cases the opposing pitchers were exceptional, so im assuming they were there to watch these girls. Both were 14 year olds hitting the 60s. My DD was pitching in one of the games, and she pitched well and was winning. Her velocity is in the mid 50s. But , we never heard back from a coach or anything. But I was glad to see DD perform well in front of a coach. I kind of see these as a dress rehearsal for when she moves up to the 16s. One thing I learned, you never know who's watching. So hustle all the time and have a good attitude. It really is difficult to differentiate at these games. So you really have to do something exceptional to set yourself apart.

One funny thing was at the last showcase, between games I was walking around with my pocket Radar timing of some of the pitchers. I also had a major university hat on. I noticed people were being extra friendly and saying hi. I figured out, some people suspected I was a college coach and just trying to start a conversation. It was kind of funny. Like I said, you never know whose watching, could be a coach or some dad.

Sep 10, 2013
MVP - game 1

DD went to her first showcase tourny the past weekend.
DD pitched the first game and was voted MVP by the opposing team.

Small victory, but BIG in building confidence and determination!

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
A couple pieces of advice:

- Don't wear the gear of a particular college or university unless your daughter is committed there. No college coach wants to see the parents of a prospect wearing a rival school's colors at a showcase.

- Keep your mouth shut during the games. Coaches weed out the "crazy parents" very quickly.

- Let your DD have some space after the games are over. Don't be a helicopter.

- No matter what happens on the field, tell your DD to hustle, smile, and display a positive attitude.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619