13 year old pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2011
It doesn't appear that she's pitching around her hip. However, my amateur analysis reveals that she switches from leading with her elbow, to pushing and leading with her hand at 12:00. She manages to still get a decent whip (I/R) at release. What she's doing apparently isn't uncommon, as I've seen it on some recent posts. BoardMember might offer this advice.

IMG_2901.gif

Her arm is also nearly straight. If she pulls more with her elbow down to her side (palm up), I'd guess she'd put less stress on her shoulder, add more whip to her release and pitch with more velocity.

IMG_2900.gif

It looks like she's got good control.

Thanks,
Adam

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Her release is in front of the hip, like a leap and drag pitcher's release is supposed to be. And people want to tear down what she already has going for her. I see that slight bend in the elbow even if others do not.

Throwing with these mechanics she can learn MANY movement pitches that you cannot throw with open mechanics or step style pitching.

She is a L and D pitcher. She does not stop her throwing elbow at the back leg. Sounds like her instructor has taught her L and D. She has a ton of potential, not sure why anyone would suggest changing her style of pitching and go completely against what her instructor is teaching her.

I hope the parents stick with that instructor and get the bugs worked out. He/ she may have a future champion on his/her hands.

Aug 4, 2011
Her release is in front of the hip, like a leap and drag pitcher's release is supposed to be. And people want to tear down what she already has going for her. I see that slight bend in the elbow even if others do not.

So, I wrote, "nearly straight". I believe that is the same as a "slight bend in the elbow". My point was that it appears to me that she's missing out on the mobility at her elbow and is using too much shoulder.

Throwing with these mechanics she can learn MANY movement pitches that you cannot throw with open mechanics or step style pitching.

Hal, I'm confused. To which post are you referring? From where have you extrapolated your above quote?

She is a L and D pitcher. She does not stop her throwing elbow at the back leg. Sounds like her instructor has taught her L and D. She has a ton of potential, not sure why anyone would suggest changing her style of pitching and go completely against what her instructor is teaching her.

STRAW MAN alert (all of your post)! Seriously, only two other members post on this thread, besides your self and the OP, and you think "people want to tear down what she already has going for her"?

Don't worry, that was a rhetorical question.

Adam

Dec 20, 2012
I'm not the aficionado that Hal is but I'll give my 2 cents. Here it goes.

She has a lot going for her! Looks strong and has good drive and drag. It does look like she could get more power from her drive though. It also looks like her right hip/back leg is swinging around and not driving thru to her front knee. It looks like this is why she is walking thru pitches. I personally do not like teaching them to lean back. If they start cheating, leaning back early, and make a habit of it you have one more problem to correct. And if all your momentum is moving forward why lean back at the point of release and lose any of it? Leaning and resistance are not the same thing. I like them to drive forward, knee to knee and come up on one leg(plant leg). Finishing tall, not on tip toes. Jess Moore probably had the best mechanics in college last year. If you find a video of her, that would be a great example.

The glove swimming looks like it caused by her arms and hands being too far from her body on the load. She can't drive the glove straight out and be in a good position for her arm circle. So she has to shove back in toward her body, pushing her glove across her body.

Project3.jpg

Should be an easy fix. Hillhouse talks about glove swimming and loading at 5:30 and 13:00. It may help you out.

Pitching Clinic Part 2 - Bill Hillhouse - YouTube

Dec 20, 2012
Here is a picture of Jess.

130313_nb__sof__NewMexico_3565-980x604.jpg

Also after looking at Adman's pics. Her hip doesn't look to be a problem. When she shoves her glove her arm circle starts in the center of her body, then brings it out away from body, then back in. If she stays tight against her body when loading and shoving I think the swimming and arm circle will start to clean up.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I agree with nano a bit here, and I too would like to see her get a bit more open. The timing of the ball at 12:00 vs. the stride foot landing it a touch off. To help the side lean and create more whip would be to do the hop drill. Just as the ball is released, she should jump upward an inch or two with the stride leg only. This will create a muscle memory of a stronger front side.

Jan 25, 2011
It does appear that her hip is coming thru at the same time of her release. I'm saying that because it should follow her release. But we all see what we want to see. I'm think she is looks really good for the most part, maybe just some timing issues and arm issues. That my 2 cents! She has a nice stride, it looks powerful.

Dec 20, 2012
It does appear that her hip is coming thru at the same time of her release. I'm saying that because it should follow her release. But we all see what we want to see. I'm think she is looks really good for the most part, maybe just some timing issues and arm issues. That my 2 cents! She has a nice stride, it looks powerful.

Hips following can be argued all day, just like the rest of our opinions. Finch stays open and lets the hip follow. Scarborough stayed 45 degrees or farther at release. Both successful, neither right or wrong. I just don't think that it is a problem for this young lady. Resistance, arm whip, and arm circle, the big 3 I see. But like you said we see what we see.

Project4.jpg

Jul 14, 2008
This kid is athletic as heck........And flexible as heck also.........

She's got a few issues for sure that could be improved.........

She completely loses flexion in her elbow at 9:00 behind her........Likely from a flaw in her circle causing too much shoulder rotation over the top........

Losing the flexion in the elbow cause a loss of torque.......Think of screwdriver on top of a screw, vs. wrench on the side of a bolt head........On is infinately more powerful then the other.............

My observation is she doesn't "break" her hand from her glove until it's almost above her head.......And by then her arms have "migrated" to the glove side..........She her arm circle is coming from the glove side as it begins it's accent over the top.........

There are 2 or 3 problems that can result from this........

1.) Her shoulders stay too square too long causing a bigger swim then it should........Open too late.......And re-square too early.........
2.) Her throwing hand/arm is carried over toward the glove side of the torso with the ball facing inward too long.....Causing late/severe shoulder rotation.......
3.) She loses all flexion in her elbow by 9:00 behind her..........Her elbow no longer leads causing a loss of potential torque......

One potential fix if she were my student is to make sure the "break" occurs on the throwing side not the glove side.

Another might be to make sure her glove side arm extends (reaches) toward the target and the break is caused by the glove side arm "lengthening" past the throwing side arm.......This will get her shoulders open earlier.........

Another might be to work on facing the ball forward at the top vs. toward the glove side shoulder.......And STOP rotating the hand OUTWARD on the way down the circle.........

I've shown many examples here of how causing the ball to face the throwing shoulder above the head causes over-rotation of the arm in the shoulder joint, putting the hand on top of the ball behind you. This causes loss of flexion in the elbow........

Her lower body is GREAT.........Her upper body mechanics need some work..........

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves