12/u critique

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2010
Hello, my daughter just turned 12. Very happy with our pitching coach. Coach is very focused on some new pitches and I want to kind of focus my attention on developing speed while we also work on her movement pitches. She probably throws about 44-45 in games and is very accurate with her FB and CU. Speed kind of leveled off over the winter without much gain. To her defense, we were pretty focused on a few new pitches. Below is some links to her video. Any help and critique would be appreciated. Where is she losing speed??

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Your DD has fundamental problems. She will *never* progress until these issues are fixed. She will never throw over 50 MPH with her current form.

Attached is a front shot. Look at her shoulders. Her right shoulder is higher than her left. Look at the shot of Finch pitching. Finch has her right shoulder much lower than her left shoulder.

Also, take a look at the front video of your DD. Your DD conveniently wore a T-shirt with a big logo on the front. (Thanks!) Note that you can see the logo throughout the entire pitch. Your DD is never getting completely open.

The "not getting open" problem is about as basic and fundamental as it can get. Your DD has *no* business working on new pitches until she fixes these problems. She is going nowhere fast. If I were you, I would seriously re-evaluate the pitching coach.

Attachments

• diana1.JPG
    diana1.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 61
  • finch-shoulders.jpg
    finch-shoulders.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
She is a very normal looking 12yo pitcher. Are there better ones? Sure. But believe me, there are worse. She has a lot of athletic ability going for her. The first thing that I work to correct, is any forward lean - and as you were telling her, she has some.

One thing I do not allow my students to do, is to slap their hip like that. It isn't correct. It hurts their wrist and it hurts their hip. It may be part of the reason that her right shoulder is high, too. (Because she is pulling down, with the glove side.)

I agree that it is too soon to be working on new pitches. Good luck to her and you. It is quite the journey, to raise a pitcher.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Looks like a great start. I like Amy suggestion of staying tall at release, which will also change the shoulder angle sluggers talked about.

Mar 28, 2013
Its normal for the speed to slow its progress when starting to work on movement. When all you have is a fastball you are working on it 100% of the time. Once you start working on the others its only about 35% .Speed increases come in chunks, just keep working and be patient. Do work on some of sluggers suggestions. But personally If I had a choice between above average speed and above average movement Id take the movement hands down.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Bucket, this kid isn't going to be able to throw a breaking pitch. Until she gets open and gets her weight back, she won't be able to spin the ball.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It appears that she has been taught as a closed pitcher. I think most of us on here, teach an open form of pitching. I wouldn't be able to help her, if she was opposed to changing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff