12 Months Worth of Work

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
In my opinion, the solution to an overly-bent arm lies not where you might think (just before 9:00), but even further up the chain than that (like the 1:00 to 12:00 position). Personally, I think, given she has the tendency to bend too much (starting right after the ball passes directly over head), just have her focus on a straighter arm (BUT NOT LOCKED) over head. Make sure she still has the ball pointed toward the catcher when the ball is over head. Lead with the elbow over head, but don't let that arm bend very much.

Also, for me, I think she turns her push (right) foot too much going into her drive, starting out just a bit too open for me. While I think some turning of the foot is okay, I think she turns it too much. I like to see them staying more square to the catcher when they begin their push (drive out). If they have an explosive, square drive out at the start, they will automatically open. I think too often pitchers open as they initiate their stride. I see this as a loss of power. Javasource's Drive Mechanics thread is nothing short of exceptional in this regard.

One more thing... Notice how that glove arm dies while she's doing her back swing. I believe she should incorporate more of a punch with her glove, as if to punch out and bop the umpire on the head from above. Then, as the throwing arm goes down the back side, she should have symmetry in her adduction. That is, that glove arm elbow (and entire glove arm) should adduct in sync with the throwing arm (i.e., both elbows should suck into the sides of the torso. Of course, the elbows will be pulling the hands down toward the thighs.

A couple things I did when we were working on these two things... I got some props. An ankle brace and a elbow brace. It draws focus to the points.

Edy

May 24, 2010
Willy,

I don't have any suggestions. I just stoped by to say "congratulations!"
You two have done such a great job in 12 months.
My favorite part is the brushing and IR. Really cool!

Best

Edy

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
To any would be bucket dads or bucket pitching coaches: I have no idea how someone can teach a girl to pitch without an iPad loaded with Coaches' Eye, Right View Pro (with model pitchers) and a high-speed camera (I use a Nikon S1 - $200). I load up what we're trying to emulate with a nationally known D1 or pro pitcher. We constantly review live video and do side-by-side comparisons with our model pitchers. She can see what she's doing and what we're trying to do within seconds of trying something new. No animosity, she can see as well as I can. I don't have to constantly say...that's not right, or your can do better. She can see it for herself. It makes us more of a team versus me constantly critiquing her. Invaluable.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2013
I look at videos like this and ask myself, Do I want to hit against this pitcher, or do I want her on my side? What I see here, I want her on my side. Great job.

Mar 12, 2009
She leaps slightly...she doesn't crow hop. It probably won't even be noticeable coming out of the hole she will probably have in front of the rubber.

Mar 12, 2009
JMO but I like the bend in her elbow. I'm sure it could be a little less but a lot of girls have a real hard time getting enough/any so I'm not sure it would be anything I would stress over because I would hate to see her lose it. She can definitely grasp the coaching though so give it a try but if you notice her locking it out then you know what to do.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Willy,

I'd say:

Great job.

Couple of notes... I think Doug commented on a few of them...

She's starting to 'load' her elbow on her upswing. Has a nice straight arm on her backswing... but you can see she's "Thinking Bend" on her upswing. Have her think about an upswing instead... she can load the elbow overtop.

Ask her to try to run with both her feet in that extreme toe-out. She'll get a giggle and realize that it's not efficient. She's putting pressure on the inside of her big toe... as opposed to the bottom of it. Push up and over the big toe, her body will do the rest.

She starts with weight over the back foot. Start with ALL of it over the drive foot... and then transfer ALL of it back... WHILE leaning. BM recently said "bipedal"... really dig that phrase. We sprint better with two legs/feet.

She displays a very significant hip and hamstring weakness in that left leg. Some of it has to do with her degree of open... but her idea of knee out... is foot out. Wall sprints with a focus on the alignment and proper kinematics of the leg would help build that strength... as would side planks with hip abduction, clams, etc. Also... a good way to warm up the lower extremities WITH a focus on proper kinematics would be something like this:

High Knee Runs

As she improves... make sure you incorporate a forward lean... and then add the bound... as this will help enforce the proper SEQUENCING that she needs to get off the rubber early. Same drill with a focus on EXPLOSIVE extension in the 'drive' leg knee.

That last shot of the ball coming at you is pretty kick-a$$.

Last edited:
The rules of pitching at all levels and organizations states the push foot must stay in contact with the ground. In the video she looses contact from her push until it lands about foot away from the rubber. So you can either fix it and not run into officials calling it or ignore it and cause a lot of mental stress when she does run into situations where it will be called.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish