11yo Swing advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I would also like to see what would happen if she adjusted how she uses her hands. I think it would make a big difference to a swing that really isn't too far away.
I also agree and why I suggested this possible 'set up':
MYoung_side.gif

Small change that might help this hitter move in the right direction towards the more vertical bat/short bat path.

Jul 30, 2014
I definitely understand what's being recommended here, and we'll get to work on this right away. I personally didn't understand where the "stretch" needed to take place until reading this (and going back and reading old strings). She's really good at making adjustments, and understanding her body movements. We just have to get her dad in line with the program! :rolleyes:

Thanks so much everyone!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I definitely understand what's being recommended here, and we'll get to work on this right away. I personally didn't understand where the "stretch" needed to take place until reading this (and going back and reading old strings). She's really good at making adjustments, and understanding her body movements. We just have to get her dad in line with the program! :rolleyes:

Thanks so much everyone!

This is just my opinion, but she looks like she has tons of potential, and really isn't too far off. And based on the video, it is apparent that she is extremely coachable. That is a very important trait, especially if she is able to determine when to be coached and when she is being BS-ed.

Sep 17, 2009
Turbo, as a next step consider:

Teach her how to control the barrel (end of the bat) with her hands (on the handle of the bat). That will get rid of the bat wrap.

Have her hold the bat straight out in front of her nose, about 12 inches. Have her do windshield wipes left and right and away from her and toward her. Next, have her do a more limited "waggle" of the bat when it's fully vertical, feeling how she can control the movement of the barrel with her hands. Next, place your hands on the bat and have her do the same waggle feeling the resistance you are placing on her barrel down in her hands.

Now, move that same assembly to her rear shoulder. Have her feel how she can control the barrel with her hands in that location as well, and how she can use it to keep the barrel more vertical (upright) as she initiates her swing.

Keep everything else largely the same, ie, add her new hand usage to her already nice stretch, athleticism and barrel turn (albeit from a not-great-handset) and see what you end up with.

Last edited:

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Just curious if what you see is the hip movement occurring the same time as the "loading" or hand movement (barrel wrap)? So, is she truly coiling? Or is the rear hip acquiring the appearance of coil, but is just moving rearward with the hands without creating additional resistance?

HBoVkVx.gif

She is getting good coil around her rear femur now. When her front heel comes up you can see the pelvis shift rearward slightly, and then the hip around the planted leg. She will feel like there is a stretch right in her hip socket. That is just one component, and as you stated, there are other factors; but from the hip socket down, she is pretty much on the money.
One could definitely point to handset, path, and balance as next steps.

IMO, the same coil can be had with better balance, but she IS just a little girl.

foLFGuR.gif

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild