10yr Old daughter Video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2010
Hello All,

First post here. Have been reading for quite some time and have had some feedback from a few on email. (Thanks Amy).

Here are a couple of links of my 10 (11 in April) year old daughter. I was hoping to get some feedback on what you might like or dislike. I am always looking for improvement. We have a PC we love and she is doing a great job with her compared to a few other coaches we had. My daughter throws hard for a 10 year old. She is consistently pushing high 40's and her coach even thinks when the technique is tight she is breaking 50.

She tends to step over her power line. I think this is a winter habit picked up from piching on the turf inside. she wants to turn that back foot. Throws a FB, has a finger tip/pad CU that is coming along and her coach just started playing around with a rise.

Anyway, I look forward to your feedback and welcome any type.

Coach's Eye
Coach's Eye
Coach's Eye

Thanks

Doug

Jan 27, 2010
jdp29, your DD has a good motion but tends to force the right side forward during her release. It also appears that she is forcing the follow through and finishing with her weight forward on her front foot. She has a good stride but is not utilizing left side resistance and transferring her momentum to her throwing side. She does not open fully as she drives off the rubber. You mention she is stepping over the powerline and this may be the cause for her bringing the shoulder forward so she can hit her target.
I am not familiar with what you describe as the term finger tip/pad CU. Would you explain further on how this pitch is thrown? I may know it as another term but have never heard that description.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
She is consistently pushing.......

This is a true statement........She would do well to learn to throw the ball with a little more efficient motion........She's fairly close......But not right......

Her push off timing is slightly off. She's stuck between stepping and driving. She's basicaly a "long stepper" vs. driving off the plate......With such a long "step", the simple fact that her pivot foot is anchored in place to far into the sequence is causing her upper body to race in front of her legs, and her arm is being left behind, creating a pushing motion vs. a whipping action.........

And she would do well to get rid of the hello elbow bowling arm action so she can let her whip develop and finish properly.......

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She looks good for her age. I would stress over hand throw. Show us a video of that, if you get a chance. I bet it is similar to her pitching, but heck she is little. If the overhand throw progresses, so will the pitching.

Jul 26, 2010
Like boardmember said, she's stepping, not really leaping, so she's leaving that back foot behind her like an anchor which is why she's leaning and pushing.

She's just learning so it's hard to critique because we don't know what she's working on now. Here's what I'd do:

Put down the glove and the ball. Go in the gym or outside and teach her how to do a standing long jump and a triple jump. Let her feel how her body hags to shift its weight in order to move, and let her learn how "falling" helps her push. This is very important for a pitcher so they learn how to drive straight off the rubber without trying to do the "sideways leap" where they turn their back foot off and use weaker muscles to push off the rubber crooked. If you take this out of the context of softball and teach them a standing long jump, it's much easier for them to understand later on. If she's a smart kid, you can ask her to take what she learned and apply it to her pitching, and see what happens, she may surprise you.

-W

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Anyway, I look forward to your feedback and welcome any type.

Nice Videos....I would add one more piece of tape to the line, perpendicular to the powerline, at a 45 degree angle, out 80% of her height to start with...that can change as she progresses. It will be the targeted landing point. Should bring her over, then she can use the line to drag her toe on, and ending with the tongue of her shoe pointing to the target. She is starting to bowl a little.

Tape 2 B target for stride foot, Tongue towards target ( Ump ) 2 finish with pivot foot.

[video]
123uogh.gif
[/video]

May 31, 2011
Sorry to go off topic, but we recently bought the Coach's Eye app for me y daughter's iPod Touch. How do I post the videos on here? We do not have WiFi so I guess they would have to go from the iPod to our home computer.

Oct 10, 2010
Thank you everyone!! Alot of what you have said has been observed on our end and has been worked on. She has always been a stepper and it was real bad for a while. We have made great progress in that department so far and continue to work on the push rather than a step. @boardmember the hello elbow is something else we have worked with our PC to get rid of. @perfect circle, yes that is the change up grip she is using for the most part. Thank you everyone!! I love this board. Lesson tonight I will watch closly on the things everyone pointed out.

Oct 10, 2010
Sorry to go off topic, but we recently bought the Coach's Eye app for me y daughter's iPod Touch. How do I post the videos on here? We do not have WiFi so I guess they would have to go from the iPod to our home computer.

HI Brad, if you don't have WiFi, yes you would have to download it to your PC. My Iphone allows me to email the link. I email it to myself them just put the links here. You can also send them to youtube from the iphone as well.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Put down the glove and the ball. Go in the gym or outside and teach her how to ....

Here is something else that gets the point across... Worked good for my DD. I also watch Ballet on u-tube w/ her....she always want to type in (Ballet 10yr old)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/cb20UaU8Y1o?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff