10yr dd after 4 months

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2011
good footwork on the powerline. forward motion is starting with a slight bend at the waist... striving for a little more body lean, like falling forward, will generate more power as the back foot will need to push off harder to catch up. Arm wise i like a little less lock out on the take back... not a big deal when just throwing a fastball but keeping the elbow unlocked now will make it easier in three years or so when movement pitches are introduced. With the arm finish..... i like a little more fluid, almost reach out that finishes naturally across the body a little bit. I do not teach the touch the throwing shoulder follow through at all. Those from the PCM will argue about this but my dd and two others i help with on the team have gained speed and endurance since they have stopped forcing the arm into this type of finish. Look up Bill Hillhouse on the web he addresses many of the same issues. btw btwn 4 and 5 seconds she shows good timing of the arm circle and the front foot landing. Arm should be at 12 or 1 oclock or so when landing and she is right there. Many starting out pitchers are out of sync btwn the lower and upper body. With little leg drive many land the front foot while the arm is in the 10 to 11 oclock part of the arm circle and this puts undue stress into the shoulder. A good cue for this is "up together...down together"... arm and front leg goes up and out together and the should come down together.. again this is just timing or syncing the top and bottom halves.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
First, nice job with her. She looks pretty good for 10.

She needs to do a better job of stopping herself. One general concept is that the pitcher gets her body moving on a straight line toward the catcher and then suddenly stops everything but her arm. E.g, if you put a brick on the dashboard of your car and you want it to fly through the window, do you gradually slow down the car or do you slam on the brakes?

The attached video is of a 10YOA girl. Notice how she never brings her right leg around. Your DD, on the other hand, keeps moving toward the catcher after release. This means that your DD is losing speed.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/GaMiNGWiZ#p/u/16/vFTB_CuOfZY[/video]

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2010
Very nice job for 10 years old on both girls. I think the first video shows a girl who is learning and she is walking through her pitches. She is also bringing her hand and hip through the power alley together and probably throws a lot of inside pitched to right handed batters. She needs to work on staying open a little longer towards 3rd base. Yes, she is losing speed because her front side isn't as firm as it needs to be to provide proper resistance but that will come as she continues to progress. However, I think her upper body is looking real good. Her glove hand is pointing down the power line and once she gets her feet corrected, she will really take off.
The second girl is just the opposite. I think that her footwork is excellent, however, I also

Aug 23, 2010
The second girl is just the opposite. I think that her footwork is excellent, however, I also think her upper body needs work. From watching the video, I clearly see her glove hand swimming. Due to this swimming, she is also losing speed and power on her pitches. However, for 10 years old, both pitchers look great. Nice job with both of them. I wish the video's were a little longer and showed several angles, because I would like to see their arm circles from the front and rear.

Aug 17, 2010
thanks

Thanks for the info. I will try to get some better videos of her. front and back views. but all i got is my phone so the videos wont be that good.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Also, show a video of her overhand throw. If you can't throw properly, it is almost impossible to hit or pitch properly.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She looks pretty good for her age and experience. I do not teach the glove slap on the hip. It is a repetitive motion that causes wrist problems and injures the soft tissue on the thigh, from my experience.

You have a great place to practice! Is that her catcher or is that an adult?

Aug 17, 2010
thats another girl just starting to pitch. i catch for both but needed someone to catch while i took pics. the other girl is 11 and started last month. im not sure what you are talking about glove slap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan