10yo DD feeback requested

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

It has been about 3 weeks since i posted my DD's last video. It was suggested by some of you here that we work on getting more bend in the elbow and lead more with the elbow. Any new suggestions on what to work on would be appreciated.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
First she is doing some nice things....

Next - The GLOVE is flying WAY out. Check out about 0:20 of the side view (you can barely see her glove side) and 0:29 (arm almost straight out from the body)

armout.jpg

She is basically using it as a counter balance. Lots of sideways motion, shoulders come round early, etc .... Also the back leg has to follow it (watch it go leftish rather than straight ahead).

Watch Cat here 'pulling' her glove down and keeping it tight to the body:

syxz7o.gif

She is doing this because it feels like she is throwing harder this way and she gets away with it somewhat because she is athletic enough to compensate - but it is just that - a compensation. Losing a lot of energy sideways instead of forwards.

Corrections: The simplest one is the 'pitch into the glove' drill. It is hard to get your glove back in time if you throw your arm outwards. More physical is pitch next to wall on her left shoulder - she wont be able to pitch this way as her left arm will hit it as she comes around. There is a few good threads on glove side corrections.

Now lots of pitcher at the top level do this to some level. but I have never seen them do it as an exaggerated motion - everything on the glove side does keep somewhat close to within the body.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
In the top video, her whip is better than the one you posted on 7/24. (I really liked the one you first posted of her doing half circles in the house a few weeks ago.) I couldn't see any whip in the second video above.

Have her play lots of underhand catch. 1/4, half and full circle--whichever helps her feel it. Keep working on the drive, but really try to nail down the feel of whip, then put them together.

Last edited:
May 29, 2013
For arm whip practice: on a hard surface have her stand sideways and bounce a ball behind her on the ground. Start with palm up then pull the elbow down as she turns her thumb down to the ground as the elbow reaches her side. As she gets used to it you can begin to bounce it next to her, then further out it front of her until she is finally throwing it to you. See if that helps. And you will have a tough time bouncing a softball so try something more appropriate.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Stand an,
Do you have a video link showing this? I'm having a hard time visualizing it and how it relates to whip.

Thanks,
Ken

May 29, 2013
No ken i do not. I probably used too many of the wrong words to describe it. I guess just stand up and put your arms out in a tee. Palm up with a ball. Pull your elbow down into your side and then turn your thumb towards the ground and bounce the ball next to your foot till you get the hang of it. Then try out in front of your feet. Hope that helps.

Feb 7, 2013
No ken i do not. I probably used too many of the wrong words to describe it. I guess just stand up and put your arms out in a tee. Palm up with a ball. Pull your elbow down into your side and then turn your thumb towards the ground and bounce the ball next to your foot till you get the hang of it. Then try out in front of your feet. Hope that helps.

What's the goal of this drill?

I would be more inclined to have the pitcher do this drill and try NOT to bounce the ball in to the ground but to instead pitch it directly in front of her and towards the intended target. Have her focus on generating velocity and tight spin on the ball.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I think I get it and will try it out when I get access to a ball. I don't get the part about turning the thumb, though. If you release it behind the hip with the palm up, I think I can see how this would work in a progression for a kid who tends to push. Gotta play around with it when I get a chance.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
To the original poster, have her stay back more once her stride foot plants. Currently she is leaning forward at release, which robs her of some of the energy that could be transferred to the ball. On the view from behind, her arm circle is tilted to the left of the target line during the upswing. Try to have her arm circle be straight down the power line so she doesn't have to adjust on the downswing. For her age, she looks pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole