10u Travel Ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2015
I am the Assistant Coach of my dd's rec team in a highly competitive league where multiple travel teams play league ball in between tourneys. Our team is mostly rec girls with the exception of 3 or 4. Those girls work hard and are progressing on a much better pace. Our head coach is very relaxed in everything he does so practices are very laid back and are only about 1 hr twice a week. No matter how much I try to get him to understand that our players need more, they need more practice, more coaching in order to excel in the sport; he doesn't seem to care. I took over practice planning, roster decisions, calling plays and pretty much anything else and things have improved a ton but there is still room to improve.

My dd has been playing for four years and has done well. She can play all positions but primarily plays 1B and P and wants to practice all the time. We usually have the two team practices, 3-4 pitching practices a week depending on our schedules. She wants to play any time she can and wants to play at a higher level. We have been watching some of the select/travel ball teams at tournaments and at open workouts over the last month or so. She has been attending open practices with 3 select teams each week in our area but I am not sure that they are much better than what we are currently dealing with.

I have been coaching softball for 5 years, played select baseball for 8 years, love coaching and want the girls to be the best they can be. I currently have 4 or 5 players that are ready to commit to travel ball with two of them being pitchers.

My question is...Should we choose to play on an existing select team (with the risk of the same stuff) or start our on select team?

Aug 26, 2015
I am the Assistant Coach of my dd's rec team in a highly competitive league where multiple travel teams play league ball in between tourneys. Our team is mostly rec girls with the exception of 3 or 4. Those girls work hard and are progressing on a much better pace. Our head coach is very relaxed in everything he does so practices are very laid back and are only about 1 hr twice a week. No matter how much I try to get him to understand that our players need more, they need more practice, more coaching in order to excel in the sport; he doesn't seem to care. I took over practice planning, roster decisions, calling plays and pretty much anything else and things have improved a ton but there is still room to improve.

My dd has been playing for four years and has done well. She can play all positions but primarily plays 1B and P and wants to practice all the time. We usually have the two team practices, 3-4 pitching practices a week depending on our schedules. She wants to play any time she can and wants to play at a higher level. We have been watching some of the select/travel ball teams at tournaments and at open workouts over the last month or so. She has been attending open practices with 3 select teams each week in our area but I am not sure that they are much better than what we are currently dealing with.

I have been coaching softball for 5 years, played select baseball for 8 years, love coaching and want the girls to be the best they can be. I currently have 4 or 5 players that are ready to commit to travel ball with two of them being pitchers.

My question is...Should we choose to play on an existing select team (with the risk of the same stuff) or start our on select team?

Why would the risk be the same if you already know who is coaching the select team?

Nov 8, 2014
Start your own team. It's the lifeblood of the sport. Bring as many girls into the sport as possible. But if you only have 4 or 5 committed upper level players right now, you have to do some recruiting. If getting 11 to 13 committed players isn't possible, take your kid to the team with the most need. But ask the other parents why the team needs players. If it's because of dysfunctional coaching, don't play on that team.

Regarding your practice thoughts.. at 10U... twice a week for 2 hours each practice in season is perfect for travel. Rec League needs one a week and an optional practice once a week for the gung ho kids. If you get 6 or 7, you can really coach those kids up. Limit these smaller practices to between 75 and 90 minutes. 3 or 4 pitching sessions a week is too much in my opinion. Kids need to throw on the side with their parent/s, but 3 or 4 a week sessions with catchers and pitchers and coaches is too much at 10U.

Good luck becoming a head coach. Full time assistants need to be head coaches if they know the sport. You sound like a full time assistant who knows what's up..

Dec 27, 2014
In my area we don't have a ton of 10u teams compared to 12u. When we looked into it last year some orgs that did not have 10u teams was because they did not have a coach that could start one. :)

I would also interview existing teams that could take 4-5 kids to see how you like the coach and existing players. Check your local board for listings of team needs.

I don't think 3 or 4 pitch sessions per week is too much at 10u. I just like to have a day of rest in between, or a little longer if you do something heavy like long toss.

May 9, 2015
Why would the risk be the same if you already know who is coaching the select team?

The teams in this area tend to focus on getting as much talent as possible and putting multiple teams up in the same division. For example one of the "select" organizations is fielding 3 different 10U teams but can't keep them filled. That is why I said the risk was still there even with the select clubs here. They do not always put the girls first. This game is about the players becoming the best at what they do.

Aug 26, 2015
The teams in this area tend to focus on getting as much talent as possible and putting multiple teams up in the same division. For example one of the "select" organizations is fielding 3 different 10U teams but can't keep them filled. That is why I said the risk was still there even with the select clubs here. They do not always put the girls first. This game is about the players becoming the best at what they do.

Sounds like you're gonna have to become an HC. If they're half as bad as you claim, you don't have other options.

Nov 29, 2009

Look beyond your local area. See if you can find a high level B team or A level team that needs players. From what you've described it sounds like that's what you need to do. You may have to drive a little.

If you start a team you're in no better position than the other "Select" teams in your area. You're dealing with the same players and parents as the other organizations. Sounds like there's a lack of general commitment to moving the kids to a higher level of play in your area. Remember.... Just because you want doesn't mean there are enough people in your area who do.

By getting your DD on a team with like-minded players and parents you'll be able to concentrate solely on your DD to help make her the best possible player she can be.

sounds like you are in the same situation I was a few years ago but in saying that heres some things to think about, the time and money involved to play at that next level and how committed will you be if you choose to do it. our non profit organization raised around 130k dollars last year for our 3 teams from sponsorships, player due's etc. we practice 2-3 times a week year around 3-4 hrs a pop, the money goes to facility costs, professional coaching (college coaches), entry fee's for tourney's and leagues etc. The money doesn't cover things like uniforms, bats, cleats, pants etc. during on season like (may-aug ) so to speak we are gone pretty much every weekend playing in a tourney somewhere. so you have hotel, food, travel (gas), etc as an added expense. so in saying that its a huge commitment not only financially but time wise, now Im not trying to discourage you in anyway just pointing out the facts that you would need to look at especially if you are thinking about being the coach which I have done and chose not to anymore as work will not allow time wise. but the benefits are amazing and I love it, love the game, love to just sit and watch and to watch these girls continue to grow into amazing players is priceless, If I were you depending on what you really want to do I would look into these club teams and organizations around you cause your right at 10u theres not a huge difference in the skills of the girls at that age but mark my word there is definitely a difference later on as the years go by from the teams that put in the time, money, etc compared to the teams that do not. and at 10u a very good time to switch to higher goals.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Start your own team or find another team in your same situation and merge. 10U is the perfect time to get started, just remember that it needs to be about fundamentals and FUN! Resist the temptation to go "hard core" until at least 14U.

Nov 18, 2013
In my experience start up travel teams built around a couple of pitchers don’t fare very well. I’d suggest seeking an established organization and trying to develop a team under their umbrella. Starter programs have a difficult time attracting the better athletes. You’ll find a few like yourself who want to provide something better for the kids. You’re mainly going to get the “grass is always greener” type that just give you headaches or kids who couldn’t land somewhere better. Having an established organization behind you makes it much easier to get into the better tournaments. It also can help with things like insurance, equipment and field/facility use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55