10U Rec Parents...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
My only concern would be that you explain to the kid that moving down in the batting order wasn't a demotion, which you have done.

Can't speak for crazies, but Horton had it right for coaching. "I did what I said, and I said what I meant."

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My only concern would be that you explain to the kid that moving down in the batting order wasn't a demotion, which you have done.

Can't speak for crazies, but Horton had it right for coaching. "I did what I said, and I said what I meant."

Based on my own experiences with 10U rec, the kid wasn't nearly as concerned about a change in batting order as the parent was.

Jan 17, 2014
Middle America
It's 10u rec. IF you have a pitcher that can get it over the plate and field and a girl that can catch at first you got it made. If your pitcher has a change up everyone else can sit in the dugout. My experience is cut out the cancer as quick as you can or it spreads. I've also learned the last word is often better unsaid when arguing with parents. they know your right but they will just start the personal attacks. Call the commissioner and get your side of the story out first. ask him to remove her from your team and let him handle it. your doing enough just coaching and teaching. I had a similar thing my very first 10u rec game. Mom was straight outta the trailer park and cussing me out in front of the kids. It was all bad. I finally called the commissioner and said remove her kid or find another coach. sometimes you can't fix crazy. just keep working on making the kids you got better and those parents will embrace what you are doing. Keep up the good work!

Feb 23, 2015
Texas
I had all of the other parents, and league board members behind me. Unfortunately, the mother texted, apologized and asked if I would let her play. Of course, I said yes. I did however explain to the mother that I do move girls around, and they earn their positions in practice.

As for player "y," I think her mother knew exactly why I did what I did. Her only complaint is that I didn't let her play catcher. Sorry, but there is someone better, that showed up ON TIME!

Our rec league requires that every girl plays @ least 1/2 of every league game. That is it. I don't have to play them infield or outfield. I am able to position them to their strengths and abilities. However, as I am NOT your typical rec coach, I am NOT about the WIN. lol I am about teaching the girls to play the game and to love the game. So, I will give girls that work extra hard a chance to play a different position.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I had all of the other parents, and league board members behind me. Unfortunately, the mother texted, apologized and asked if I would let her play. Of course, I said yes. I did however explain to the mother that I do move girls around, and they earn their positions in practice.

As for player "y," I think her mother knew exactly why I did what I did. Her only complaint is that I didn't let her play catcher. Sorry, but there is someone better, that showed up ON TIME!

Our rec league requires that every girl plays @ least 1/2 of every league game. That is it. I don't have to play them infield or outfield. I am able to position them to their strengths and abilities. However, as I am NOT your typical rec coach, I am NOT about the WIN. lol I am about teaching the girls to play the game and to love the game. So, I will give girls that work extra hard a chance to play a different position.

This could be the best result, by far. Maybe the mother will learn to ease up a bit, and not destroy her DD's life.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It does sound like you might have changed the Team rules in the middle of the season. Also sounds like you have a good Board and this might all work out for everyone’s benefit. Be consistent with the rules and I bet everything will work out OK.

One of your jobs is to coach the parents. That is why they pay you the big bucks. :)

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Jojo - Thank you! I have the support of the other 7 sets of parents. I just have these 2 that seem to think I play favorites. I don't know how, when their daughters are always on the infield, even when they don't make practice. Last night, I just looked at a couple of my girls warming up, and decided it just wasn't right not to let them try, when they are at almost every practice and always on time. My oldest daughter was benched constantly last year, even though she was ALWAYS at practice and ALWAYS had a great attitude. Even the other parents on her team hated the way she was done. So, I just couldn't justify not letting those other 2 girls have a try.
When I coached I played favorites all the time, my favorites were the kids who came to all the practices and were on time for the pre games.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd