10u pitch count

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2012
11yo old DD plays 10u travel ball she's been pitching about 2 yrs. We play tournaments 2-3 weekends per mth. And practice pitching 2-3 days per week. What's a typical pitch count for practice sessions and a pitch count per day for tournaments. Typical tournament is 2 days. How do the coaches handle the pitching rotation on your teams in tournament play.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Right now, I am holding 2 eleven year olds to 50 game pitches. But, this is rec ball. They aren't nearly ready to pitch a complete game. With warm ups prior to the game and 5 pitches prior to each inning they are easily at 100 pitches.

As far as practice goes, I count by 15s and I call that a set. I have them pitch 15 and then, I make a mark in the dirt. We get water and pitch 15 more. We work corners and change ups. So, in 45 minutes (the length of my lesson) they probably throw less than 90. At home, it can vary if they throw 50 pitches and they are spot on, they are done.

So, your next question is, how do we build up stamina? You dedicate part of practice to long toss a couple of times a week and once in awhile move the girls back to 36, 37, up to 40 feet. When they are successful at throwing strikes at those distances add a 12 inch ball. They should think that it is fun. My group does.

Mar 6, 2013
My daughter is also 10y old. she also practices 2-3 times a week. In practice I put 20 balls in a bucket. So she warms with 2 buckets then 1 bucket fast, 1 bucket change and one bucket mixed fast and change. ( she has only two pitches for now)
In the tournament she pitches one game on Saturday then comes to relieve in other two ( so typically around 80 -100) pitches.
Same goes Sunday depends on how far we go

May 31, 2012
What stretches and exercises should be done prior to throwing? Should girls do similar rubber band type workouts/ exercises as baseball pitchers? If so any info on a good routine/program would be nice.

Jul 4, 2012
Humpty - three pitchers on DD's 10U team, and each of the three get a start at each tournament, and then it's based on who's having the most success for the day or tournament.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
A good warm up might consist of:
-a light core warm up of a jog, skips, carioca, high knees, arm circles, torso twists, leg swings, etc., (5 min)
-some progressive overhand throwing (5 min)
-whips, full circles and maybe some walk throughs
-step backs
-whatever she enjoys doing

Just avoid the old wrist snap routine

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55