10U DD Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2015
Changeup swing mechanics are easily (and it's fun) taught off of front-toss. First throw fast balls. Then throw change-ups. Then alternate back and forth. Then mix them up without signaling. She should be able to sit fastball/adjust change-up with the extra *stretch* leaving her something to hit the change with.

Her coach at the Bash lesson did exactly this. I was pleasantly surprised how well she did. I've always just been concerned how she will translate this to live pitching...haven't really had a chance to do that yet.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I would fix the 'casting of the hands' & sequence:
tumblr_o32qyjBCYA1usf292o1_250.gif

Posey_laf_combo_big.gif

There's a lot of good stuff to be learned from Buster.

Apr 13, 2015
Here is a quick clip of my DDs lesson with Justin Stone yesterday. Thought some might be interested. For reference, she just turned 12 last month. This was her last swing of the hour.

-He moved her elbow up in her stance. She had been elbow down more. Thinking is it will put her closer to a good scap load without her hands having to travel so far.
-Worked on slowing her load and stride down. She was way too fast.
-Suggested she find a rhythm in her stance. She is pretty tense. Maybe a little rocking or a waggle. I've been trying to get her to do this forever. Lol.
-Really worked on just letting loose more. Swinging hard. The last 10 swings including this one he told her to swing as hard as she could.

I'm happy with the results. We will see how it transfers to game day. I know she still casts her hands but we are taking baby steps here. For anyone close to Chicago I totally recommend Coach Stone or any of his other coaches at Elite Baseball Training.

[video]https://youtu.be/6deZiuAgCsA[/video]

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_o6gyadukkM1usf292o1_250.gif

Good example of timing the ball in the air and not the pitcher. Your DD is timing the pitcher. Let the ball get deeper. Hand loading should be a little later in the sequence. Also work on continuing to pull back on the hands/arms a little longer during the load. When DD finds her 'rhythm' I'm sure that will continue to improve. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2015
tumblr_o6gyadukkM1usf292o1_250.gif

Good example of timing the ball in the air and not the pitcher. Your DD is timing the pitcher. Let the ball get deeper. Hand loading should be a little later in the sequence. Also work on continuing to pull back on the hands/arms a little longer during the load. When DD finds her 'rhythm' I'm sure that will continue to improve. Thanks for sharing.

She def has a habit of loading hands at the same time as her bottom half load. And always working on getting that overlap with her pull back and advance. Not sure I understand your first sentence. We have been trying to get her to time the pitcher not the ball. Start her advance at release.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd