10 YO DD Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
Well, we are 4 lessons in with the pitching coach. Some may remember my initial post which was closed after some "misunderstandings" and "differences of opinion" got out of hand. I am now at the point where I am looking for feedback on what you think she should be focused on.
[video=youtube_share;Gu6brUvaRu4]http://youtu.be/Gu6brUvaRu4[/video]
Here's what we've been working on:
1) Leading the downswing with a slightly flexed elbow and whipping through the release zone. Call it I/R or whatever. Her pitching instructor calls it whipping the ball instead of pushing it.
2) Keeping her weight back, and not falling forward at release.
3) Forward lean and bending both knees at "launch" as she calls it.
4) Not turning the right foot sideways to push off, but rather starting toe down and turning "up and around" to toe drag.
5) Staying open through release and not finishing in the "Bowling" position. (Knee to Knee as she calls it)

For a reference point, I worked with DD for about 6 weeks prior to finding a PC using only the Hillhouse DVD and this site as my knowledge points. We messed around with other info I got from YouTube for a week or so prior, but nothing serious.

Last edited:
Well, we are 4 lessons in with the pitching coach. Some may remember my initial post which was closed after some "misunderstandings" and "differences of opinion" got out of hand. I am now at the point where I am looking for feedback on what you think she should be focused on.
[video=youtube_share;Gu6brUvaRu4]http://youtu.be/Gu6brUvaRu4[/video]
Here's what we've been working on:
1) Leading the downswing with a slightly flexed elbow and whipping through the release zone. Call it I/R or whatever. Her pitching instructor calls it whipping the ball instead of pushing it.
2) Keeping her weight back, and not falling forward at release.
3) Forward lean and bending both knees at "launch" as she calls it.
4) Not turning the right foot sideways to push off, but rather starting toe down and turning "up and around" to toe drag.
5) Staying open through release and not finishing in the "Bowling" position. (Knee to Knee as she calls it)

For a reference point, I worked with DD for about 6 weeks prior to finding a PC using only the Hillhouse DVD and this site as my knowledge points. We messed around with other info I got from YouTube for a week or so prior, but nothing serious.

She looks good in most of her basics except the right foot is not pointing down on big toe and back ankle should come to meet front ankle.Front foot and body at 45degrees.Bill is the best at teaching the logics of pitching as he states "You must be able to pitch to your glove from three different positions.It would be great to see her do that.

Jan 25, 2011
Her arm looks pretty good, arm brush across her belly, so that it doesnt get to far away from her body. She does need to drag her toe, she is on the side of her foot. Her pivot leg needs to follow her arm towards the catcher(notice follow her arm). Knee at the catcher, shoelaces towards the catcher on her toes. Then as far as getting in a defensive position, just falling to her right. Looks like the garge floor might be a little slippery, so that could be creating some problems for her. Keep up the good work.

I'm not a pitching guru by any means but I have been trying to continually educate myself and learn as much from video, discussion, etc. and working with my dd as a 9yo wanting to learn to pitch effectively, safely, and consistently. That being said, in looking at this video it seems her arm goes down below her waist at launch, she does seem to keep the elbow bent throughout the motion which is good for an i/r type release. However, pitchers that drop their arm straight out of their glove tend to start locking their arm straight and I would just be aware of that moving forward. Some may disagree and I would love to hear conversation regarding this. Also, the footwork, especially the right foot has been discussed. Try to get her to drag the tow with the laces facing the catcher and bring the right knee to the left knee.

Jul 17, 2012
Here's one where she tried to keep the ball in the glove, Ala Hillhouse. Whenever she does, she abbreviated the whole first half of the circle and brings the ball straight up as opposed to out up and around. Footwork is much better on this one.
[video=youtube_share;inYAGpUAEJY]http://youtu.be/inYAGpUAEJY[/video]

I was referring to the arm coming straight out of the glove and dropping behind her. Since you brought up Hillhouse, I think his stand sideways, rock the baby and push forward with BOTH arms before going up and around into the full circle drill would be perfect. He teaches both arms forward not dropping one down below her waist behind her.

Aug 22, 2012
she is on the side of her foot.
a87.jpg

Jul 17, 2012
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looks like we have 2 working points this week. The drag foot definately needs work and the first half of the circle needs some work. She does drop the throwing hand out of the glove. Last week the big focus was keeping her weight back and not falling forward. She's improved quite a bit on that. Anyone see any issues with the release? It appears to me that she's staying under the ball on the downswing and leading with her elbow. Anyone disagree or see any potential issues there? We play underhand catch quite a bit to get her used to throwing the ball underhand without all the complexity of the full pitching motion. I think that's helping, as she hasn't had too many issues there, other than getting the timing down of when to snap the wrist through.

Jan 25, 2011
I think that's helping, as she hasn't had too many issues there, other than getting the timing down of when to snap the wrist through.
I wouldn't bother with isolating the wrist. If her arm is relaxed and not tense, the elbow leading, the forearm,wrist, will snap with out tought, a chaining effect. Dont waste time doing wrist snaps underhand or overhand.IMO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1