#1 aspect of hitting not being taught

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
I think teaching what a plan for the at-bat is important as well as how to develop that plan. The term mental approach is very broad. It can mean plan development, coping with failure, focus, recognizing situations within the game, etc. All is very important, but we need to be specific with the players when we teach them the different aspects to the mental approach.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
What is the #1 aspect of hitting not being taught? Everything mentioned so far is something that is taught.

Of course none of us know 100% of what is being taught ... so it's pretty much a wild guess in terms of what is not being taught.

#1? The value of the legs is often overlooked. As far as the off-season is concerned ... get your legs in shape. Respect the concept of "building the athlete first".

Oct 25, 2009
Don't hear of many coaches trying to teach kids to swing harder by making them overswing (swing harder than they can). I've worked with a few players that are swinging harder with better mechanics than they were before we started overswinging.

Aug 29, 2012
Vision and timing. It's what separates a number 3 hitter from a number 8 hitter. They both can have fantastic swings, but swinging isn't hitting.

Aug 29, 2012
I'm a huge fan of his. Was able to attend a clinic of his and I was blown away by his approach. He breaks every aspect of the swing down to such simple terms for the students to understand. And he's the first one I've ever seen put so much emphasis on vision and timing. Wish I was smart enough to post his blog on vision and hitting, its a great read.

Mar 7, 2012
PA
I agree with the Mental Aspect. I was at a clinic last year where once college coach said his hitting stations include mental stations, once he explained I really liked the idea.

The one he called a pre swing station (you practice how you walk up to the box, what you do in the box ie. tap plate, stretch, swing bat) it sounded stupid but if you think about it it relaxes yo before you bat and the better you do it the more relaxed you will be.

The other thing I like is how he stresse dthe importance of watching a pitcher before you at bat. With most teams you see the on deck batter swinging and the girl in the hole casually getting ready. After the clinic I implimented with my girls his stragety, which was
-on deck batter (timing pitching)
- in the hole (losening up -practice swings stretch)
- 3rd in line & 4th in line - sitting with bat/helmet watching pitcher at the end of bench -nobody can distract them
(it was amazing to notice how mcuh better they hit when they actually watched the pitcher .. they were picking up tendencies of pitchers making thier approach easier).

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
The one he called a pre swing station (you practice how you walk up to the box, what you do in the box ie. tap plate, stretch, swing bat) it sounded stupid but if you think about it it relaxes yo before you bat and the better you do it the more relaxed you will be.

I think this is highly important for a hitter. No matter if it's a one run game, we're up by 10 or down by 10, I want my girls approaching the box in the same mental fashion. I want "some" level of excitement in their minds but I want their heart rate low and focus at maximum.

As a hitter you have to learn to "sit" on YOUR pitch(s). Maybe it will come on the first pitch, maybe you have to work the count to see one. Chances are, it will come at almost every at bat. The key is to recognize it early in flight and be ready to explode on it. This takes a long while of experimental trips to the box to settle comfortably into this mind set.

Next we work on 2 strike approaches. We work on breathing, calming the nerves and maintaining your training. ( believing in yourself ) It's as simple as the old line "protect the plate". I try to tell them to stay "over the plate". High % of "attempted" third strikes are Pitched on the away corner or breaking off the corner. It does happen, but very few come inside when the pitcher is ahead and you're on the plate. ( turning that 0-2 into a HBP )

I also tell them to expand their zone 1-2" on ?-2 counts. DO NOT LEAVE IT UP TO THE UMP ON CLOSE PITCHES If you think you can touch the ball with the bat you'd probably better be swinging.

Fear is a batters worst enemy. Fear will make you chase early in the count. If you're willing, wait until you find the pitch you want. Chances are its coming, but be focused when it does and don't let it sneak by, cause you probably won't see that "mistake" again that at bat.

One tool I have used since they were young is the mental approach to the pitcher. I tell them every pitch you can lay off of ( strike or ball ) actually frustrates the pitcher. AND keeps adding to the pitch count. And thats what I want running through their heads in the box, every pitch. If we go 3 up 3 down for 5 innings and all take the P full..........that's 90 pitches. In 7 inning school ball that's 126.

On those long hot weekend tourneys the high pitch counts will take their toll by the last couple of money games on Sunday. HS ball, most around here play almost every night with only one main varsity pitcher. WEAR THEM DOWN!!!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom