#1 aspect of hitting not being taught

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
Too easy, it's the mental aspect. Most HC don't teach it in depth because they don't know how.

I see girls all the time hit off a tee or pitching machine like a hero. Great if you are 14-16 and still play T-ball, then they move onto some good live pitchers and look like a fool. It reminds me of watching a boxer just kill a punching bag, only because a punching bag doesn't hit back.

Edit:
Redhotcoach, dang it you beat me by 3 mins. I should have kept my post shorter. Hope we can share the prize. :)

I think this is the correct answer. I coach a 14u team. I have only one or two of them that have any sort of mental approach at all at the plate. I try to teach this aspect , but struggle at doing it effectively. This is an area in which I would like to improve.

Sep 18, 2012
I think this is the correct answer. I coach a 14u team. I have only one or two of them that have any sort of mental approach at all at the plate. I try to teach this aspect , but struggle at doing it effectively. This is an area in which I would like to improve.

I tried experimenting with my son when he was 13 different pitch counts, situations and more - to improve the mental aspect of his hitting. It is difficult - you can try, but you cannot replace experience. The mental aspect of hitting should improve with time, hard work, repititions and lots of experience.

Thanks to everyone for responding to this thread. Please keep them coming. I asked the question because it looks like Miguel Cabrera is getting ready to win the triple crown. It reminds me of how great his back arm action is - his loading and attacking of the back arm. I think most coaches do not see this, understand this or teach this. I think some coaches see something, but don't understand it and are teaching it the wrong way. And I think some get it right on. To me - coaches are missing teaching this important aspect of hitting.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Pitching is largely a mechanical operation. A pitcher's thinking can be done by his catcher, or the pitching coach can call the signals. The simple goal of the pitcher is to do the same thing every time, mechanically. It is an easy skill to coach because there are only three or four simple mechanical movements that need be mastered. The player's throwing ability is pretty much a given.

Hitters, however, must think on their feet to the level of the pitcher, catcher and pitching coach combined. He must makes adjustments to the pitcher. He must "guess" what is coming, whereas the pitcher knows. This requires a huge amount of experiential learning.

Mechanically, the batter has a plethora of interchangeable skills and movements available for adjustments, and to maximize his bat speed. Whereas the pitcher's arm speed is pretty much a given, the hitter's bat can be sped up with the use of various devices—knee cock, hand momentum, bat twitch, stance, swing plane, stride, follow-through, etc. (There is pretty much one standard wind-up for a pitcher.) This means the hitting coach must be much more knowledgeable than the pitching coach. But when you add in job security, lack of teaching ability, personal focus and diligence, the hitting coach is horribly handicapped.

More, hitting is a subjective skill (whereas pitching is a repetitious, highly mechanical skill.) One hitting coach can have one pet prescription, another may have another, all determined by the limited scope of their personal experience. My experience has shown me that it is the blind leading the blind in 19 of 20 cases.

Where does this leave the young hitter trying to make it to the top? Alone.

I try to teach this aspect , but struggle at doing it effectively. This is an area in which I would like to improve.

We all would like to improve my friend, all of us.

Gonna have to check this out. Looks very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

CJP

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Mental Aspect Players don't seem to need it. Why, because coach calls the pitches,plays, and where a player should position themselves. Players just wait for the coach to coach them. As parents we call out instructions all the time from the benches to our players. Either out load or hand signals. We think we're helping. We don't let them think on their own. Nothing like live pitching to DD and just let her hit. No do this, you didn't do this, just plain old hit the ball hard. You (DD) figure out how to wack that ball. Just like the good old days. This site has ruined me forever going to a hitting instructor unless your one of the posters.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
This site has ruined me forever going to a hitting instructor unless your one of the posters.

One great thing about this forum. It has a HUGE amount of experience in almost every aspect of this game. Hitting, pitching, fielding, catching, coaching. Though we might not always agree, most of the disagreement is due to personal opinions and success in a certain field of study or single discipline. We always throw in "what works for my kid", but physical and mental abilities/approaches are so very different even spread out over a 12 girl team. Much less the thousands nationwide. As long as someone is using sound/safe mechanics and above the curve with that success, it's not a one size fits all.

I feel most on here are constant students of the game, like me. I'm trying to further my fastpitch education. I thank you all for that opportunity.

AtlantaHitDoc

Coaching and Loving it!
Dec 19, 2009
Atlanta, GA
In a general sense, I think the three most important things that a hitting instructor can teach are good mechanics, hand-eye coordination, and a good mental make-up. I've come to believe over the years that while you might be very strong in the first two areas, if you don't have a good mental approach, you will never have consistent success at a high level.

I was very fortunate a while back to meet Dr. Jack Llewellyn, in my opinion the best sports psychologist in the country, and have incorporated a lot of his ideas into my teachings. He really makes things simple. He currently works with the Washington Nationals and many top professional athletes. He's been credited with turning around the careers of John Smoltz, Tony Stewart, and Paul O'Neill, among others. Check out his website - Professional Speakers Atlanta | Motivational Speaker Marietta GA - if you want more information. :)

Jun 7, 2012
Morgantown, WV
I would suggest some of the mental aspects also. Even when I see many girls working off a tee, they do not put any mental effort into it. Many of them seem to see it as a race, you set the ball there and before you barely have your hand away they hit the ball. No mental effort at all, just swing the bat as fast as you can.

I try hard to work with the girls I coach to relax, concentrate, see where the ball is coming from, track, stride and decide.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Mental aspect, but I would include how to be a "student of hitting". Give the player ownership on how to make adjustments, and the why.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC