WWYD: ethics of warranty replacement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
In past LS and DeMarini have with no problem. In fact when cf6's first came out and were blowin' up, they were suggesting to people that were sending in returns to size up. Also, I know LS has replaced LXT with Xenos or vice versa when requested.

DDs first CF6 blew up about 4 months after we bought it. When we sent it back for replacement I got a phone call from Demarini warranty dept. asking if I wanted to upsize. I don't believe there is anything unethical about asking to upsize. The bats are all the same price. Its not like you're asking for a more expensive bat for free.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
It depends. It has nothing to do with the customer. When you ask for a size up and you get a no, you can thank all the fraud customers out there. Many customers break bats before the year just to take advantage of the warranty bat. So I believe some of the "no" answers is to curb that. Keep people from using a bat for 10-11 months, then intentionally breaking it and moving up one size for the next year since the kid has out grown the bat. While I understand bat prices have returns figured in, it was this reason they had to do that. The "abnormal" breakages were out of control. Also, you can thank the fake receipt people. The "I know a guy that get me receipts"...so we have bats well past the purchase dates now being sent in. Because of course, you had people buying broken bats all over the internet and doing receipts and poof, got a new bat out of it.
I believe telling people you get the EXACT bat back was one way to stop some of the fraud returns. People got the same bat back. Now you didnt buy or "find" a bat and send it in for a bat that you liked more.

Secondly, you wouldnt think, but it also has to do a little with the customer rep on the phone you get. Some are very nice and accomodating for everything. Some are very "by the book" and nothing deviates from the return manual they read.

So dont take it personal and think they are singling you out or calling you out or anything.

Last edited:

longball00

Softball is my obsession
Apr 8, 2014
Willoughby, Ohio
I have never had a problem when requesting a different size. Easton has always allowed me to change sizes if they had it in stock at the time. Same with LS and DeMarini, Worth/Miken.

Feb 3, 2011
Thanks for your perspectives, everyone. They have an online form used to request a return authorization number and they had that to me within 24 hours. I got the cracked bat shipped out today and received an email from one of their customer service reps to give them a call to discuss replacement options. They're definitely an A+ company.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
Thanks for your perspectives, everyone. They have an online form used to request a return authorization number and they had that to me within 24 hours. I got the cracked bat shipped out today and received an email from one of their customer service reps to give them a call to discuss replacement options. They're definitely an A+ company.

Which company was Brand X?

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Like I said, most places start the process with the service phone reps. Some are new/jerks and do everything by the book. Some others are cool and know what they can and cant do so putting in for another weight is no issue.

Mar 26, 2013
Like I said, most places start the process with the service phone reps. Some are new/jerks and do everything by the book. Some others are cool and know what they can and cant do so putting in for another weight is no issue.
Are you suggesting to not accept a denial from the first rep as a final answer - to hang up and call back until you get a rep that says yes? I worked with a guy that successfully did that with the airlines whenever he wanted to stretch the frequent flyer rules...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I have found that my attitude can often affect the level of cooperation I get from customer service personnel, and asking for help is usually more successful than demanding it. That said, sometimes customer service people are just jerks.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Are you suggesting to not accept a denial from the first rep as a final answer - to hang up and call back until you get a rep that says yes? I worked with a guy that successfully did that with the airlines whenever he wanted to stretch the frequent flyer rules...

Like Eric said, first be cool. If you act like a jerk, you aren't gonna get anything you want. They will give you the same bat because technically, that's what they have to do.
But yes, if you are nice and the person still is denying it, just say ok and you will be back in touch. Then call again. I have definitely had where different customer reps will do things and help out more than others will.
I actually knew atleast one warranty rep from each manufacturer years ago and always had people ask for that specific person if they had a return to do that wasn't in the norm. Those people always made it happen and did everything they could.

That being said, this is for regular return issues. Being denied warranty for other issues, some of those issues are out of the reps hands and no matter who you talk to doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG