Who is in whos camp?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I'm in the camp of whatever helps my DD be her best. I am in this camp too!
but not this camp: rear hip pivot, one-legged launch,

So to help me sort you guys out, I have come up with another question.
Whos swing mechanics do you prefer more Barry Bonds or JD Martinez?
What ever my hitter is most comfortable and efficient with

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm in the camp of whatever helps my DD be her best. I am in this camp too!
but not this camp: rear hip pivot, one-legged launch,

So to help me sort you guys out, I have come up with another question.
Whos swing mechanics do you prefer more Barry Bonds or JD Martinez?

What differences do you see in their swings? Personally, the key characteristics that I look for are present in both of them.

ez_softball

Life at the diamond...
Apr 14, 2017
I'm in the "hitting is way over-cooked" camp. K.I.S.S. o_O

More importantly I know what "cues" work for MY daughter to bring back her swing when she begins to struggle. I know those same cues wouldn't work for other players, just like their cues would destroy my kids swing.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
What differences do you see in their swings? Personally, the key characteristics that I look for are present in both of them.
I see Bonds as rear hip pivot, one legged launch and deepr contact point and JD more turning around the spine and two legged leverage and more out in front.

May 12, 2016
I see Bonds as rear hip pivot, one legged launch and deepr contact point and JD more turning around the spine and two legged leverage and more out in front.
I still have a hard time classifying one legged vs two.. I believe all swings are two legged.. However I can see Bonds sitting a little more on his rear leg when getting FYB.. than somebody like JD. Who can argue with the numbers Bond put up.. however my personal swing preference is JD Martinez and IMO it's what I see in most Fastpitch hitters.

Reactions: TDS
Apr 11, 2015
I still have a hard time classifying one legged vs two.. I believe all swings are two legged.. However I can see Bonds sitting a little more on his rear leg when getting FYB.. than somebody like JD. Who can argue with the numbers Bond put up.. however my personal swing preference is JD Martinez and IMO it's what I see in most Fastpitch hitters.
Yes, all swings are eventually two-legged, but there's a difference how one shifts/balances the swing between them...
0trijCT.gif
NieDAxA.gif

ImjlalW.gif
u3CMg15.gif

wPshzji.gif
TdIG3Uu.gif

All just becomes a matter of knowing/learning what causes the ones on the left vs the ones on right, and which column of swings that you'd like to emulate. As TDS says...Yes, both patterns will work, it's all a matter of which one you think will work best for your situation(s).

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

Just goes to show how definitions vary... I see both as predominantly rear legged and neither rotating with the spine as a point of reference. Just different ways of viewing the same thing I suppose. Personally, I think both are valid swings to promote.

May 12, 2016
1591205348970.png 1591205418414.png

I don't know.. just not the same IMO. Could be wrong. Bonds seems to be back more on his rear leg, while JD seems to be more balanced. If I were to progress this swing more, JD definitely drags his rear foot.. jury is still out (IMO) on what Bonds does

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
View attachment 18111 View attachment 18112

I don't know.. just not the same IMO. Could be wrong. Bonds seems to be back more on his rear leg, while JD seems to be more balanced. If I were to progress this swing more, JD definitely drags his rear foot.. jury is still out (IMO) on what Bonds does

They are both leveraged before launching the swing. One gets more forward then the other but neither compromise the rear leg/hip relationship and utilizes the core to whip the bat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles