which bat??????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Unless she has alot of upper body strength and a good swing path, I would say get a balanced bat. Most 13 year olds would swing a 31/ 19, or 31/20, 31/21. If she is a bigger girl then 32 and 33 inch bats could be used.

A small 13 year old might swing a 30in bat

Weight, height, amount of strength, and how good of a swing she has all come into play.

straightleg

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
DFW
Agree

Like straight most in your age bracket use 30-31 in length. Dependent on strength I would say a drop 8 or 10. If you have a place that will let you try them in your area go out with DD and check them out with her. She has to have one she feels comfortable with and with girls that will often include visual comfort. It has to look good to them. :) Not just feel good when they swing it.

It always amazed me when I took my daughter out to pick out a bat. Color was always more important than performance of the bat until she got to HS and older levels of select ball.

Always an adventure.

Dana.

Feb 26, 2010
She is about 68 inches high and about 150lbs I also don't know about the -8 or -10 rating. You guys are right its got to look good no matter how it feels in here hands.She has a strong upper body because she can hit it to the high school fence but we see she has bat drag problem which we are really trying to fix.Thanks for any and all the info

Sep 3, 2009
If she's 5'8" with good upper body strength, then i wouldn't get anything less than a 32, probably a 33. I'd just have her swing some different drop bats to see what felt right, -10 or -8 most likely. Then when she finds a drop/length that feels good, then look at brands and graphics. A composite is going to give the most pop on the ball. If she's dragging, I'd probably try and not look at a Rocketech, just because they are end loaded.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
My DD is a small 13 yo for our league. 5'1" and 98lb. She swings a 31/21, but has good upper body strength as she is a former gymnast. Most of her teammates that are your daughter's size swing a 32/22 or 33/23.

May 11, 2009
Flopdot
My DD is 13 and is 5' 6" tall and is 114 lbs. So she is not as strong upper body as your DD probably is. In late U10 and all of U12 my DD swung a 31/21 but she grew a lot over the fall and winter to get to where she is right now. I am getting her a 32/22 for this year. I am not going to jump her into a 33/23. I am not saying all girls could not be there but mine could not. It would be to big of a jump for her. She has a good swing and makes good adjustments but I do not want to slow her down to much.
Good Luck!!
Mike

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
My is a junior 5'5 and 135 lbs. She swings a 32/22.
I doubt we every go bigger. I dont know if adding a once or two of weight would help her hit it farther/would have to get a radar gun and see if her bat speed dropped.

Straightleg

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
She is about 68 inches high and about 150lbs I also don't know about the -8 or -10 rating. You guys are right its got to look good no matter how it feels in here hands.She has a strong upper body because she can hit it to the high school fence but we see she has bat drag problem which we are really trying to fix.Thanks for any and all the info

Flop....the reference to the -8 or -10 is the length to weight ratio. A 31" bat that weighs 21 oz would have a -10 rating or drop. hope that helps. My DD's are both 5' 4" one 108 lbs the other 115 lbs they both swing 32" bat (Easton; Schutt and Louisville) with -11 drop.

Bucketpapi

Banned
May 28, 2008
in addition, in the fastpitch world, a minus 10 is a balanced bat and a minus 9 and a minus 8 would be considered end loaded

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG